Gallien Kreuger RB400 III

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Precision345, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Precision345

Precision345 Supporting Member

Hi TB,

So for the past two days I have been practicing with some friends of mine and I was using one of their roommates bass rig. I didn't take a picture of it but I wrote down what the head was. The head is a Gallien Kreuger RB400-III and it sounds reaaaallly good.

I used to play thru an old GK like 5 years ago and it sounded pretty good too but this current one i've been using just blows my traynor dynabass 400 out of the water. I'm thinking of buying one if I can find it and I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on these heads?

Are they still being made? I only saw the RB400 IV on the gallien krueger site so I'm thinking they have been discontinued

Perhaps it would be more valuable to buy the RB400 IV instead of tracking down the III?

Please share your thoughts :)

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

The 400RB IV is the latest revision of the 400RB having more power and better cooling than the rev III but there was a voicing change in the IV over the III. I don't know if that helps any? The 400RB IV was just recently re-released (came out of retirement by G-K).

3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Get the new one. Great amp.

:bassist:

4. Precision345

Thanks dudes, I picked up a used one thru long & mcquade. I traded an old bass cab in and its only going to cost me $230 with 1-year extended warranty

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Enjoy... Played a GK400RB for I've 15 years... Rock solid ! Great deal too...

7. Precision345

Awesome!

I have been using a Traynor Dynabass 400 for the past 2 1/2 years and it has served me well, I'm ready for something a little less clunky and with a little more warmth. I really like the feel of the GK stuff. I used to play out of an old GK, years ago, that my friends dad had, it looked like a ****** VCR but it played like a wet dream haha

8. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

I have had my 400rbIII since i bought it new in 2000 I think. It was my main gigging amp for years and has thousands of hours on it and still going strong. I use it mainly for DB gigs now. To me, the rb series GK's are the best sounding solid state amps ever made.