1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Gallien-Krueger 212 MBE-II 2x12 Bass Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by johnsonabq, Nov 17, 2013.

1. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Hanging on in quiet desperation... Gold Supporting Member

2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Nope - but I've read it has the same 12" drivers as the G-K NEO212-II cabs, so I bet it sounds awesome.

:hyper::bassist::hyper:
  3. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

I have the mb212 combo and am in love with it. That's the same as running that cab with a GK mb500 head. What would you like to know?
  4. johnsonabq

Is it the one with the metal or cloth grill?
  5. Blankandson

Blankandson

Metal grill one can be ordered in either 4 or 8 ohm and weighs 50#. The all black new one is only available in 8 ohm and weighs 39#. Or so says the website. The new MB800 amps put out 560 watts at 8 ohm so either cab should work fine with that head.
  6. johnsonabq

I am only interested in the cloth grill cab and per the website in my original post.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...-krueger-212-mbe-ii-2x12-bass-speaker-cabinet

The Gallien-Krueger 212 MBE-II 2x12 Bass Speaker is only available in 4ohms w/600 watt rms rating. I was hoping to hear from others who have used these cabs and can attest to their quality.
  7. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

I have the cloth version . Definitely top notch quality
  8. huckleberry1

huckleberry1 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    student
    I've got the 115 II combo & the MBP 410 powered cab at 500 watts & love it.
  9. Blankandson

Blankandson

I just inserted the comparison because even MF has it wrong. They currently are selling the cloth version in 4 ohm, which doesn't exist. I emailed them and the response said they were selling the new cloth one in both 4 and 8. But the GK website says they do not have a 4 ohm version of it. It's confusing for some having two almost identical cabs for sale at the same time. I'm actually thinking using the MB800 Fusion with the new all-black cab, so I'm watching your thread. Should be a good match.
  10. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

When looking at GK stuff I noticed several inconsistencies in ratings. For example, the website shows the MBE212-II at 600 watts:

[​IMG]

The GK spec sheet says 8 ohms: http://www.gallien-krueger.com/manual/mbe-cabinet-spec-sheet/

But a pic at Sweetwater shows 400 at 8 ohms:

[​IMG]

The GK spec sheet also says 34lbs, but the pic above says 39.
  11. Blankandson

Blankandson

If it's only 400 watts that would be a deal-killer. The new MB800 heads put out 560 watts at 8 ohms. I'd say the photo of the back of the speaker is more accurate than the website figures.
    Another GK cab (I think the 112 cab) is shown on the MF page to be both 300 and 400 watts. Guess one has to make some phone calls to get the correct info.
  12. johnsonabq

Yes, confusing. I don't see what you're seeing on the GK website. The specs for the MBE-II's don't mention ohms as far as I see...

[​IMG]

Sweetwater shows the 212MBE-II @ 4ohms
    Guitar Center shows the 212MBE-II @ 4ohms
    Sam Ash shows the 212MBE-II @ 4ohms
    Woodwind & Brasswind shows the 212MBE-II @ 4ohms
    Music123 shows the 212MBE-II @ 4ohms

Can they all be wrong? Also on that spec sheet, I think thats for the original MBE cabs with the metal grills. Not the MBE-II cabs.

Look at the pic. That's the 210MBE-II @ 8ohms and 400watts.
  13. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

Sorry, my bad, that's a 210 pic at 400 watts.

Edit: But the spec sheet says MBE-II at 8 ohms. My guess is GK just added the -II to the old spec sheet.
  14. johnsonabq

I sent an email to my sales engineer at Sweetwater for confirmation of the 4 ohms status.
  15. Blankandson

Blankandson

The ohm confusion isn't what would kill the deal for me. The new MB800 heads put out 560 watts at 8 ohm, so going from 600 watts down to 400 watts would take this cab off my short list.
  16. Blankandson

Blankandson

This entire post is hurting my brain. I'm still fine with either cab if I can get 600 watts. If I have to get the older old it's only 11 pounds heavier and I can deal with that. Both are priced fine for me. So now I'm back to the original post by Johnsonabq. How does it sound? I would guess that with the Neos and either MB800 it should sound awesome.
  17. johnsonabq

My Rep at Sweetwater said that they are selling the 212MBE-II (black cloth grill cover). It is 4ohms @ 600 watts. He said they could order the 8ohm version if you want. They do use the same neodymium speakers as the NEO series. Just the cab is different.
  18. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah

Bahh, just go for the 4x12 Neo and call it a day ;)

In all seriousness, hope it works out well for you! GK stuff is pretty awesome, I love my GK gear :)
  19. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    This is a new one on me. How exactly does one "engineer" a sale?:confused::bag::D

Anyway, don't get caught up in the
    400/600 watt thing......it's side-tracking you. Very few speakers out there could make anything out of much more than 100 watts per 12". And don't think that if you got a 600 watt 8 ohm model you'd be safe to crank the 560 watt amp into it set on 11......doesn't work like that.

All that said, these newer MB cabs are pretty well built stuff. They'll follow my simple "rule of 12's". :)

1 is for intimate gatherings, 2 will drive a bar room by themselves and keep a full sound on somewhat larger stages, and 4 will handle anything you may encounter, including metal types of music that end in "-core".
  20. johnsonabq

I'll be pushing mine with a TCE RH450. I'll use the 4ohm 212MBE-II for both one and two (that didn't sound quite right :ninja:).