1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Gallien Krueger 400RB Bass Amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by pica, Dec 30, 2012.

1. pica

pica

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

It is one of the most famous solidstate bass amps ever, and an iconic monster of the 80's. If it's in fully working condition, it's a fine amp.

3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Most people are not looking for lower powered amps these days and it is still over a $1 a watt used.

4. pica

pica

How much do you think it's really worth used?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Seriously those are great amps....Used one as a back up for years!! Through an 810 it gets loud!

7. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

I recently saw one for sale in bad shape but working for 175 ....

8. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

What ever one will pay :D. Seriously, used market $1 per watt top condition unless he wants to wait for someone willing to pay for the great sound that amp is capable of. $150 in today's market it would sell faster IF it is in good cosmetic and working condition. :)

9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

These are awesome workhorse amps with great tone, and they get loud. Its what seemed like tons of players used in the late 80's/early 90's. I've had three of them and had no problem getting $200 bucks when I sold them.

10. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Having recently looked for a newer/solid state bass amp, I would say the price is a bit high, although it's in good physical condition- better than a lot I have seen. Ask for the date code in the lower left corner of the rear. That and a detachable power cord will tell you a bit about which version it is. Does he have the footswitch for the Boost? That would count, a little. Any footswitch with a 1/4" plug that makes/breaks contact will work, though.

I got mine at Music-Go-Round and the guy didn't even know they had it when I asked about this model. I walked to the back and it was sitting on a cabinet.

11. pica

pica

Date code is 3 - 87

12. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Mine is still the last piece of gear I will ever sell. I've had it since the mid 80's. $200 is usually what they sell for. Don't let the 200 watts fool you. This amp gets plenty lound, and really shines at 4 ohms.

13. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

+1 on that. The last amp I'll sell too. Great tone, tough as anything, and very surprisingly loud at 4 ohms. I've been using mine since 1983 and not an iota of trouble.

14. SJan3

SJan3

Agreed! I had one with a 2x15" JBL loaded cab back in the 80's and it kicked major booty! I don't ever recall wanting more power.

15. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I have paid that much for a 400RB off of here, supposedly in mint condition, but it came to me packed very poorly and suffered cosmetic damage in shipping ... I have also bought a couple between $190 and $215 ... I have sold them for around $150 (shipped) working, but with minor issues, and for just under $200 (shipped) in very good condition ...

being local, try it out, paying attention to all of its functions, and if it works well, and looks good (as it appears to), AND you like it, it should be worth all of $180-200 the rest of its life, and maybe more ... if it has been on CL that long, you can see there is not much demand in its current price range though ... BTW, these are relatively small heads, especially for their day ... great heads, but there are used ones out there with issues so proceed accordingly ... I bought one off of Ebay that was DOA and immediately returned ... so that would be 2 of 5 that I have had that had issues

16. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Great amp. I had one for years and never had a problem. The only reason I got rid of it was that I started doing larger shows and wanted more power. Can't go wrong with GK.

17. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat Supporting Member

I'm just west of Detroit (Milford area) and selling one of two, keeping the other as a backup for festivals (main amp is now a Thunderfunk 550-B). I've played GK 400s for a long time, both in clubs and festivals. They're like an old Chevy 350 engine.

If you want to try them out, let me know.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/msg/3510602711.html