1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Gallien Krueger 800RB or Little Mark III ? Not happy with my sound at the moment

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Rat Blitz, Dec 25, 2013.

Purchase Little Mark III or Gallien Krueger 800RB

Poll closed Dec 29, 2013.
  1. Little Mark III

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Gallien Krueger 800RB

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. You have too many amps already. You still won't be happy

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

At the present moment in time I'm not happy with my sound. I keep changing back from tube to solid state but I just can't seem to dial in a sound I like at the present time.
    I'm thinking of adding either a Gallien Krueger 800RB or Little Mark III head. Both are same asking price.

This is my current gear. Maybe I don't have the right heads married to the right speaker cabinets. I thought my sound was good using various combinations but recently nothing seems to sound right. I'm preferring solid state right now over tube.
    What seems like the better choice. Gallien Krueger 800RB or Little Mark III? And what cabs would they work best with that I've currently got in my inventory. I recently liked the Ampeg B2R recently but there just wasn't enough head room. I also thought my active Ibanez Musician sounded really good with Hartke married to the Peavey 810TV but I usually prefer passive basses. What makes it harder is that getting a good tone with the band is different than getting a good tone by yourself.
    I keep thinking the right head will make me happy.
    Would the Gallien Krueger 800RB or Little Mark III be a marked difference from what I've currently got?

Current RIGS:
    Ampeg B2R Head with Peavey 810TV 8x10 Bass Cab

Ampeg VT-22 (V4B) Head with Ampeg SBT 2x15 Cab/Amp

Traynor YBA-3 Custom Special with EV-2150M 2x15 plus 6 horn cab

Fender Bassman 100 with Yorkville XC808 8x8 Cabinet

Hartke Model 3500 with Ampeg SVT Cab 8x10 (OLD)

Traynor YBA-1A Bass Master Mark II with Traynor YC-610 (6x10 Cab)

Traynor Mono Block II with Traynor 2150 2x15 Cab

SPARE CABS:
    Traynor TS-98 9x8 Cab
    Traynor YCX 2x12
    Ampeg B115E 15 inch Cabinet
    Yorkville 410B Speaker (4 x 10 and horn)

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Honestly, if you can't get some kind of good tone with all that gear you already own, I'd start looking at something besides the amps and cabs. Maybe you are in need of some eq education?, or maybe it's your bass/strings?, or perhaps it's due to playing technique? I don't know, maybe there is no problem, and you just have GAS?

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

I have to agree with Ricken, I would think you should be able to find a good sound/tone out of your existing gear. But, if youre not finding it, youre not finding it. Me, I would go with the GK 800RB all the way, no contest to me. And a Neo line cab. That is the way to go IMO if you cant find or arent diggin the tube sort of sound.

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I agree with the above. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to a great sound with any of the gear you listed. Personally, I would use the V4 with the old Ampeg 8 X 10.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mbelue

mbelue

How did you end up with a Peavey 8x10 & an Ampeg 2x15. Seems like you did that backwards....

7. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Regenerate Guitar Works
    What kind of sound do you like?

Where are you located?

8. Itzayana

Itzayana

Try a Sans Amp BDDI.

9. eno50

eno50

Amen to that !!!!!!

10. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

11. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

:confused: Deleting all of the info about your gear, this is the extent of your post - what specifically don't you like about it?

I used a Yorkville (same as the Traynor) XS800H through one if the TC808 cabs awhile back and thought it sounded great, fwiw.