Gallien Krueger active peak.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SuperRich, Sep 14, 2013.

1. SuperRich

SuperRich

Yesterday my 1001rb was used for a gig. All went well Until it came to the last band who had a 6 string active bass. I pressed the 5 string button to change the voicing and set it all up but when he started playing with the band it was clipping on every note ! It took me about 2 mins to get there and stop him playing as I couldn't work out what was doing it. The sound from the amp was getting very distorted. I finally worked out that I needed to press the -10db button. (Never used an active bass through this amp)
    After I sorted it out it seemed fine. He cut some of the lows from his preamp and carried on.

What's kind of damage has this done to my amp? And is it normal when using active ?

Thanks
    Rich
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

No damage, and it can be normal. It's not necessarily when using active basses, just high output basses in general.
  3. SuperRich

SuperRich

Oh ok good.....lol
    I just thought because it was peaking for awhile it would have caused damage.
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nope. In fact I would suggest you never use that active pad, just bring the pre-gain down.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    The "Clip" light on the RB series amps comes before the first Volume/gain control.
    If it's flashing either use the pad or turn down the signal before the amp.
  7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    The only possible damage might have been to the tweeter in the cab, if you have one, and maybe not even that, so just check the tweeter and don't worry about it.

And yes, for whatever reason, to me anyway, turning the input down instead of using the pad sounds better in almost any amp I've used..
  8. SuperRich

SuperRich

Turning the input down was the first thing I tried and it did nothing. The ONLY thing that worked was the -15 button. So it must have been something to do with the preamp in the bass? The amp hardly ever peaks so I was really surprised
  9. SuperRich

SuperRich

This makes sense ! Thanks for the info.
  10. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

He probably had the controls on his active bass dimed - wouldn't be the 1st time I've seen that...

- georgestrings
  11. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

I ran into a similar situation with my GK 1001 RB-II using a very high output passive bass. My GK 212 NEO speakers kept distorting until I hit the pad -10db button. No damage occurred to speakers or head and I've been happily cranking that suckah for years since the incident.