Gallien-Krueger CX 410

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by johnsonabq, Apr 1, 2014.

1. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Hanging on in quiet desperation... Gold Supporting Member

2. orangejulius3

orangejulius3

Ceramic speakers for those that still desire ceramic over Neo.
    For being ceramic, the cab is still light weight.
    I tried them at NAMM with an MB500.
    Sounded sweet to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. johnsonabq

Thanks for your info. I've seen the stats on the GK website. Was hoping for some input from people like yourself who have tried them or know people who have.

I was curious too about the ported sound compared to the sealed sound. I can still get the 410MBE-IIs from Sweetwater. But I'm interested in the CX410 now. Doesn't look like they're available yet though.

4. johnsonabq

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bob C

Bob C

I didn't know the MBE's were sealed enclosures. In fact, I asked about that in another thread and was told they are ported.

7. johnsonabq

The 410's were sealed. The others were ported.

8. Bob C

Bob C

Oh, that's right. Thanks.

9. ProdigalBassman

ProdigalBassman

I tried them at NAMM with an MB500.
    Sounded sweet to me.

[/QUOTE]

OJ3,

Thanks for your input. Would you venture to expound a bit on the CX410 sound? I'd like an Ampeg SVT-410HLF but it weighs so much. I tried the GK 410 NEO tonight vs. the Ampeg and the NEO sounded quite good. But at $750 the NEO is $250 more than the new CX410 which is rated at the same power and only weighs 3lb more. if the CX410 sounds like the NEO, it'll be a done deal.

Thanks,

Joe

10. johnsonabq

OJ3,

Thanks for your input. Would you venture to expound a bit on the CX410 sound? I'd like an Ampeg SVT-410HLF but it weighs so much. I tried the GK 410 NEO tonight vs. the Ampeg and the NEO sounded quite good. But at $750 the NEO is $250 more than the new CX410 which is rated at the same power and only weighs 3lb more. if the CX410 sounds like the NEO, it'll be a done deal.

Thanks,

Joe[/QUOTE]

The SVT-410hlf is a 4 ohm cabinet so you give up the option of two cabs (unless your amp is one of the few that allow 2ohm loads). I ended up going with two PN-410hlf cabs. These cabs are still a very manageable weight.

11. orangejulius3

orangejulius3

[/QUOTE]

OJ3,

Thanks,

Joe[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be able to expand on the CX410 as I did not get to try it.
    I played with the CX210 and CX115 using the MB 500 amp.
    I wasn't familiar with a bass that an artist had there.

What I can say is GK NEO speakers have a wide range and can hit pretty hard and are very responsive.

The GK Ceramic speakers seem to be fuller in tone and seem to aim more at studio quality.

Hopefully others can chime in!

12. rag

rag

Disclosures:
    Robert A. Gallien, President Gallien-Krueger
    We have just finished fine tuning the speakers. Expect to see it in about 90 days.
    RAG

13. Bob C

Bob C

Do the CX cabs sound similar to the NEOs? To put it another way, are the NEOs more expensive because of the type of speakers, or are the build and components higher quality across the board?

I'm pretty much sold on an MB800, and keep waffling on which cabinets to buy. Portability is a factor.

14. Bob C

Bob C

Oops. Just reread the last few posts and see that some of my questions have sort of been answered. Also see that the CX cabs aren't on the market yet.

Same questions apply to MBE vs NEO series.

15. ProdigalBassman

ProdigalBassman

I e-mailed GK asking for info and got a quick reply from Christine Simpson who kindly attached their new catalogue, which I hope you'll all enjoy perusing. I asked Christine about the sound of the 410neo vs the CX410, pointing out that the CX is not as deep as the neo. She replied "The difference is they are ceramic speakers and tend to be deeper tone, compared to the NEO tends to be a little brighter." I'm looking forward to trying one of these if any of the music stores in Kansas City ever get one.

Attached Files: