1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Gallien Krueger - Fusion 501

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by GretschBassist, Feb 10, 2014.

?

Would you consider buying the "Fusion 501"?

1. Yes!

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. No!

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. Hmmm, maybe.

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Supporting Member

Don't worry, you haven't missed it as it doesn't actually exist but maybe try and allow your self to imagine it for a minute...

It's basically a Fusion 550... but...

...minus the second channel feature.
    ...minus the motorized controls.
    ...minus the bi-amp functionality.

Just that lovely 3x12AX7 preamp and it's beautiful 500 watts Class-H power section.

That unit, in 2 HU 19" rack format and I'd be set for the rest of my life. What about you? Would you consider buying it?
  2. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

It's the only go head I've ever considered owning, too bad about that micro craze
  3. GretschBassist

This isn't about the Class-D micro version, it's about the big Class-H version but the Fusion 550 has too many features that are prone to failure if you ask me. I'd LOVE a simplified version of it.
  4. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Maybe in Europe yall get worried about stuff breaking because its complicated... but in the good ole states GK innovates & its built to last
  5. elwuss

elwuss

I have the Fusion 550, but I agree.
    Don't use the 2nd channel, don't use bi-amping mode and am a bit afraid of motorized nobs as well...
  6. elwuss

elwuss

although, would prefer to stay 3RU - looks better:D
  7. dedoonbass

dedoonbass Supporting Member

Tunaman:
    C'mon man, seriously? The guy is clearly a GK user and loves the product, I think his concern is totally valid. So, how did this become about country of origin and what part of the post offended you?
    Go sit out on your front porch, stroke your gun, and calm down. Jeez

Anyway, I agree a simplified version of the Fusion 550 would be cool to see. I am yet to try one of those heads out but what I've heard of them sounds really good.
  8. GretschBassist

@ Tunaman:

Well, actually Europe is "good old" compared to the states and it doesn't matter where it breaks down, if you look it up it has broken down everywhere in the world, hasn't it?

It's nothing I'm just making up... Motorized controls ARE gonna break some day because that's what tiny little motors do, U.S. built or not isn't even relevant here...

Then the second channel feature doesn't really work for clean/overdriven settings because the DI out level is affected by the gain itself, making channel switches in a song literally impossible. Many had this problem and most people stuck with only using one channel or used the second channel as a slight volume boost or different EQ-ing.

I myself would get two 501`s right now if they were available. I was just sharing the idea, not intending to make this a pro/con american craftsmanship thread, like I said. Not even relevant here...
  9. GretschBassist

Fair enough, I could live with that if I had to :D
  10. RockDoc

RockDoc

A simplified 550 would be nice, either 2u or 3u. I had problems "out of the box" with the motorized knobs on my 550 (reported here on TB years ago). I returned it, and opted for the tried-and-true 800RB. The 550 did sound fantastic, though!
  11. elwuss

elwuss

must say I never had problems with the knobs, but I'm always half scared when I turn it on and they move into position :/
  12. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

wont the knobs still turn if they are not turning themselves? cant you still set them where you want if they stop working on their own?
  13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Buy the MB-Fusion and be over it... Best GK amp yet IMO. I don't need the power if the 800 an so haven't tried it ... Yet... Am purposely avoiding that experience :)

Far as I'm concerned racks are dead, unless they house a 300 to 400 watt tube beast in which case they aren't dead, just too heavy to move often.

[Purely conjecture...]
    On the Fusion 501 idea - yeah cool but side by side I doubt that we would hear a significant difference vs the Mb-Fusion. I expect GK prototyped something like the MB Fusion pre driving the power section from a 700 or 1001. Seems like that would have been easier to implement than than the class D just based on the internal volume available... Probably they looked at the results, the costs involved to implement, the additional market share they might capture and decided to focus on class D [/Purely conjecture]

The 550 leaves me cold for the same reasons you mention. Too complicated, motorized knobs as a potential failure point and for me too large. That said I had the opportunity to try a Fusion 550 and neo 410 as a provided backline. Seemed nice but given the setting I couldn't light it up. A shame that...
  14. GretschBassist

As you use them to dial in the sound in the first place, I'm pretty sure the motorized control isn't crucial for them to work as regular knobs. In most cases reported it wasn't actually the knobs malfunctioning but the control chip that tells them where to move. That being said, if one motor dies, the setting for that one knob wouldn't change during channel switch.
  15. GretschBassist

Ya I kinda went down that road but the Class H power am has more heft, better presence and the MB Fusion doesn't have a foot switchable Mute function which is kinda stupid IMO...
  16. elwuss

elwuss

I use only one channel, don't use the footswitch for muting.
    Well, I hope the knobs would function even without the motors:)
  17. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I would probably buy one, even though I am totally satisfied with my 700rbII. The tube pre is very intriguing. One more thing I would add to your idea, and this applies to all GK amps, not just the Fusion 501 would be to completely do away with the contour control, and the deep/5 string switch. I would like to see the presence control of the RB series added to the Fusion.
  18. GretschBassist

If you ask me they could remove the Contour, Deep and Presence switches altogether. But that is my very unique taste ;-) A presence control would be nice but I think I'd end up leaving it flat all the time. I love the way this amp sounds flat, first time that ever happened. ;-D
  19. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I don't know how many times I have heard people complain about GK amps not cutting because they have the Contour control set at noon thinking it is flat. I had a friend who usually uses Ashdown call me telling me how the GK rig that was a provided backline was terrible and that he couldn't hear himself in the mix. I told him to turn the Contour off before he could even tell me how he was EQ'ed. The next night he called me and told me he loved how it sounded.
  20. Blankandson

Blankandson

The DI signal isn't important if one never uses FOH. Which is a LOT of TBers. In a small to medium club switching from clean to dirt can be a huge asset, esp if going from Beach Boys to Hendrix or 38 Special. Both clean and dirt can be huge from the 550. If you did need FOH just mike your cab. Now if the thing could loose about 15 lbs . . .