1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Gallien Krueger GK 800RB Discontinued -- Long Live The 800RB!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by RockDoc, Sep 24, 2012.

1. RockDoc

RockDoc

Perhaps this comes as old news to TB'ers, but I noticed that the GK 800RB is not showing up as available from many major online vendors. I called GK, and it was confirmed that production for this iconic bass amplifier ceased several months ago. Long Live the GK 800RB!

2. David Jayne

David Jayne

Wow, never thought I'd see the day. Bummer. R.I.P. 800RB.

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

That's too bad. It's really the best amp they've produced (IMHO).

4. BigEarl

BigEarl

Had two, verdict: meh. I like the MB series better, no, I LOVE the MB series better!! Still it's a sad day. RIP.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

No way? Really? How can that be? I wonder if it's a production problem. That would be like Ampeg getting rid of the SVT wouldn't it?
    Brent

7. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

It's probably hard to sell new ones since every single 800RB in production is still alive and rocking! The aren't CE certified and most peeps I know want smaller and lighter. I guess I can't blame them..

8. husky123

husky123 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Oh. My. Goodness.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Hmmm......maybe an 800RB......(wait for it)...........II coming?? Hmmmm............in a smaller package!

10. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

A bass classic. I used to play with a drummer who worked for Drums Unlimited which was/is the go-to backline provider for concerts in and around the "greater" Washington, DC area. Anyway, he was telling me that they had all the pro bass amps on hand so that they could fulfill any band riders that they came across. I asked him what the most requested amp was and he told me that it was the GK 800RB by a long shot. He also told me that they had several of them and that they'd been extremely reliable battle axes for them.

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

You guys need to get with the times. What are you? A bunch of guitards, forever pining for crappy "vintage" gear? :eyebrow:

The 800RB played its role, and occupies a significant place - in bass guitar amplification history. But it was a dinosaur: underpowered, with very limited EQ, with a hardwired voicing that was incompatible with modern extended-range instruments, etc. etc. You couldn't even order one with Speakon jacks - it was 1/4" phone jacks only. That should tell you something... :eyebrow:

Grieve if you must. But then, move on...to a fuller appreciation of how far the state of the art in bass amplification has evolved since the heyday of the 800RB. And be grateful for progress... :smug:

MM

12. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8

The tone of the 800RB is definitely unique, and it's extremely reliable because of the way that it's built. It certainly has shortcomings, but it has its own niche in the market that is important. I agree though that the amount of much less expensive and just as reliable used versions in the market probably killed it.

Even though I sold mine to get a more versatile head, if I could afford to keep more than one amp, it would definitely still be in my possession. I'm sad to see it get discontinued, but I'm not surprised.

13. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Proud 800RB user here. I have more technologically advanced amps, but guess which one always gets the gig...

14. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

I prefer the voicing of the old GK RB designs 800RB & 400RB, & the limitiations of the EQ down low & up high, I dont care for tweeters & I like to hear the bass not feel it. These amps were not under powered.

15. 1n3

1n3

I had the same thought. MB500+MB200+crossover would make a nice replacement, but built-in biamping is out of style these days, so my expectations are low to nil. Too bad, given the increasing popularity of dedicated mids.

Valid points on the jacks and power (though it's a strong 300w). But isn't the 800RB EQ and voicing very much like all GK amps?

The lack of speakons told me that GK considered it obsolete, and kept it in the lineup only because the development & tooling was paid for, and it was still selling. Presumably, sales have finally dropped off... kinda sad, but not surprising. Wonder if this raises or lowers the value of my 800RB.

16. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Wow, I picked up an 87 800RB a few months back and I just love it to pieces. I've been playing it over my SVT and DB750.

17. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Kind of. It's got a steep bass roll off at 40hz IIRC as well as a few other things that separate it from the newer RB (II, III, IV) series stuff. I'm not sure about the MB series, but obviously the power supplies are different.

18. dogofgod

dogofgod

Hooray for progress!

19. shoot-r

shoot-r

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bawl:

Does this mean mine, that I bought new in 1984, is now a collector and worth mega bucks?????? :D

20. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Time to start hoarding.:p

I picked up a 400 last week, and I know where another one is for cheap. Now I have one 800 and one 400. When I pick up that other 400, then I'll only need one more 800. Considering most from the 1980's are still in service, then I'll be set on good SS amps until at least the year 2072, at which time I'll be 100 years old.:smug:

21. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

There's some "family resemblance". But no, not entirely.

I think you'll find the 700RB-II, 1001RB-II & 2001RB-II heads to all have a more robust low end than is the case with the 800RB - certainly when used in five-string mode. Likewise, the new MB-series micro-amps generally have a deeper, more powerful low end right out of the box... :meh:

MM