Gallien Krueger MB 212 II combo owners...any quality control issues?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jfh2424, Dec 29, 2013.

1. jfh2424

jfh2424

Hi guys, I have a GK MB 212 I combo and had some serious quality control issues. Yet I loved the sound. I'm thinking of buying a second generation.

Anybody here own one? Any issues?

Thanks!

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

The 2nd series of MB combos are made in the USA, your first generation was made in China. That should tell you something right there.

I have a MB410-II and MBP410-II and other than a initial minor grounding problem with the DI in the MB410-II, the amp has been flawless.

TD

3. jfh2424

jfh2424

Thanks TD, I appreciate it.

Anyone else?

John

4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Well G-K sell thousands of those amps worldwide, so there has to be a few lemons out of there somewhere - and Canada seems to have the worse luck - so you should probably buy from another manufacture, because it will probably be just your luck that you'd get that one lemon out of thousands. ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Back2Bass

Back2Bass

I got mine back just before turkey day. LOVE it. Will be using live starting January 11th.

So far so good. Love the tone.Time will tell.

7. jfh2424

jfh2424

Really is that true?

John

8. bmc

bmc

A friend of mine bought one. It was unreliable from the start. Sent it back and got another that made an annoying hiss. sent it back and got his money back.

That was enough for me. They're inexpensive amps.

9. jfh2424

jfh2424

Thanks!

Anyone else with experience with these things?

John

10. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Yup. It tells you that an amp assembled in the US traveled a shorter distance to a reseller in the US :p

I think that's the most relevant point. If you want to take indications from forum reports, there doesn't seem to be any reason to think there are widespread issues, in this case. That pretty much does it.

With any amp model, there's going to some small percentage of issues, whether it's assembled in the US or somewhere in Asia. Some buyers have to be that small percentage. It might be you. The great likelihood is that it won't be you.

It seems that we tend to end up viewing stats and forum reliability reporting in a way that really only applies if you were buying hundreds of amps. If you're buying one amp, it's not going to have a "failure rate" or "issue rate" of 2%...it's either going to be 0% or 100%

11. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

No problems with mine - love it!

12. lefty007

lefty007 Supporting Member

By experience using G-K for years, and by reading this forum, I've come to the conclusion that G-K has higher-than-average quality issues. I keep using them because the sound does it for me, and I like the price-to-features ratio, and the costumer service is REALLY good. They care about their customers and they fix your problems fast, but I can't help to think that using cheaper components to keep prices competitive has taken a toll on quality.

I've been kicking tires wanting to buy a new MB combo but I'm really hesitant . . . but at the same time, nobody is making such powerful and lightweight combos, so I might have to hope for the best. . .

13. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

The only problem I have had with mine is the coating or paint they use on the cabs scratches and chips easily.

14. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Agreed, this is a minor problem, but easily solved with one of GK's new padded covers for their MB Combo Series.

I have GK covers for both my MB410-II & MBP410-II they do a great job of protecting the cabinet.

TD

15. Crazyeelboy

Crazyeelboy Gold Supporting Member

I'm a long time GK guy and have several GK combos. I love the sound and the light weight of the MB series and am a loyal GK user. That said, over the years, I have experienced problems with speakers not being able to handle the power of the amps and have blown speakers at normal volume levels (I'm not talking maxing out). You would think that they would pair up the speakers with the power in the combos a bit better, so it seems to be more of a design problem rather than a manufacturing problem.

16. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

On another note. I've been using G-K MB series combos for a few years now without any problems what so ever (my combos are still in mint condition, even cosmetically). TIP: No mater what you use - be it a combo or amp/cab rig made by any manufacture, you still always need to pay attention, listen and turn down the volume/low bass EQ if/when you hear the diver(s) farting out so you don't damage cab(s) - use your ears. . . . not your eyes.

EDIT: Oh and another vote for padded covers - I have www.studioslips.com covers and love them.

17. Joedog

Joedog

My early gen. 1 (China?) MB115 is going on 4 years, and has performed flawlessly.

18. Crazyeelboy

Crazyeelboy Gold Supporting Member

That's good advice generally, Joe - one has to be careful with the sound, but in my experience, my GK combos have been especially sensitive and the speakers went out rather suddenly, so by the time I heard a problem, it was already too late. I had used several other brands over the years (Acoustic, Sunn, Peavey, Fender, Cerwin Vega, Ampeg, etc.) and none were as delicate as the GK speakers.

Realizing that the GKs are a bit more sensitive, I haven't had a problem in years, but that is one difference I have found with my GKs. By the way, I own and use four GK rigs - an old 1985 MB (the small one with a 12" speaker), 1001/212 combo, MB 212 combo and MB 115 combo.

19. jfh2424

jfh2424

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I haven't had issues with the speakers in my MB 212, but I went through several heads. Mind you this was the first generation stuff.

I also had extensive dealings with the folks at GK concerning customer service and I must say, they are second to none.

I'd love to hear about other people's experience, if you have any.

John

20. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

TIP: Go ask over in the mega G-K club thread. ;)

21. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Going on year 3 with my GK MB210 combo and not one issue. Not heavily gigged, mostly used for a couple hours every day during practice.