Gallien-Krueger MB115

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gerard_66six, Jan 8, 2013.

1. gerard_66six

gerard_66six

Hi fellow TBers,

I've been GASsing for a Gallien-Krueger MB115 combo amp and based from the reviews and feedback that some of you guys have given, I am now sure I can't go wrong with purchasing this amp.

My only issue with regards to this one is that I think the local music store that have this amp is selling it way too over priced.:crying:

http://www.jbmusic.com.ph/product/details/gallien-krueger-mb115

The link above shows the price to be 28,600pesos (Philippines), estimatedly that would be around USD690+...:rollno:

How much does your local music store listed this amp?

Thanks,
    Gerard
  2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

$450 American dollars here. But that's the -II version, the one with the black grill, not the silver. Not sure what the differences is.
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The II with the black grill is the newest model and slightly more expensive, built only in California. The silver grill is the first series built either in Cal or the G-K owned China plant.
  4. gerard_66six

gerard_66six

The one that I'm refering to in my post above is the older version (silver grill)

sweetwater.com is listing it USD399.00
    guitarcenter.com is listing it USD399.99

I really want to buy this amp but is it worth if I buy it for USD690+ ???
  5. scottfeldstein

Maybe everything is just more expensive where you are. I guess you'd have to factor that in.
  6. B-string

The older silver grill does not have the "chain out" to drive the new powered extension cabs. Maybe use this point to bargain a lower price?
  7. Troph

Troph

According to the GK website, only the new MB210-II supports driving an extension cabinet. So neither the MB115 nor MB115-II offer that feature.

You should be able to get the older MB115 model at a discount now that the new series is here, however.

$690 seems very steep. Is everything more expensive there?
  8. tdub0199

tdub0199

The MB115-II does indeed offer the "Chain Out" option......
  9. scottfeldstein

The distinction here being that the new MB combos can all use the new powered extension cabs.
  10. B-string

Note I said "POWERED" extension cab. The chain out will supply a +10 db balanced signal for any MBP powered extension cab. Only available on the rev II's.
  11. gerard_66six

gerard_66six

Hmmm... I've tried searching for other amps and it seems that everything is way more expensive here...

Kustom KXB100 is listed here at PhP18,800.00 = USD460
    Laney RB4 is listed here at Php22,380.00 = USD548

Those are the amps that I am looking at aside from the GK MB115...

Anyways, thanks for your feedback guys. Guess I'll just have to delay my purchase until I save enough money...

Cheers,
    Gerard
  12. Troph

Troph

I see. I apologize for the misunderstanding. So basically it sounds like a DI output but it's post-EQ.

That's better than having to mess with a multi-output pedal into two cabs with independent controls. But it's still not exactly what I'd call a "marquee" feature... The ability to truly drive a 2nd cab would be much more valuable, obviously.
  13. banskevie

banskevie

the one with the black grill, not the silver. Not sure what the differences is.[​IMG][​IMG]
  14. B-string

It is hotter than a DI signal. Combo is the master preamp. Any number of powered extension cabs can then be added.
    Add a non powered 210 to the MB210 for a 500 watt 410 rig then add as many 500 watt powered 410 cabs as you want.
  15. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Actually it is a "marquee" feature,,,,, you can double the wattage of that single MB115 series 2 combo with each powered MBP115 powered cab and you can add as many chained output MBP powered cabinets as you want.

I just purchased one of the new GK MB115 series 2 combos and that's the main reason I purchased it was the ability to add more cabs with the chain out feature.

Cheers
    Davyo
  16. scottfeldstein

It's a new way of thinking about rig modularity. I think it's just as valid as the more traditional way. I definitely see the appeal.
  17. Riccardo C

Riccardo C

Is it possible to use the MB115 II combo AS a cabinet, connecting it to an external head?
  18. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I suppose if you disconnected the internal amp and added a jack you could.
  19. The online manual for the powered cabs says the limit to the number of powered cabs you can link to a combo is THREE.

"The MBP powered enclosures are optimized to interface with any Gallien-Krueger product equipped with a chain output. All EQ and volume settings made on the primary unit are sent to the MBP, ensuring uniform output and tone. Up to three MBP enclosures can be linked together, allowing the user to create the ultimate “Rig.”

This shouldn't be a deal-killer. Four 15s powered by 800 watts - I think that would be (as my Dad would say) My - Tee - Fine !
  20. paquer

paquer

I have a MB150S-III combo - no Chain out - can I use the new powered extension cabs? Gallien's website just says MB Combo which does specifiy whether I need a new one with a "chain out" or not...

If not, what do you suggest? I find the MB150S-III combo is just not enough to hear well beside a drum set. Will I get much more stage volume with getting an external speaker? (without screwing the amp)

Back of the amp implies I can hook up an 8 ohm speaker while still using the internal - total load = 150W

extending this wee GK amp beats lugging around my warwick amp with its 4x10 cabinet...