1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Gallien Krueger MB150E III - GK Growl ?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sifi2112, Dec 13, 2012.

1. sifi2112

sifi2112

Hi all,

Got a GK 700RB-II and love the 'growl' I can get out of it .. at pretty loud SPL .. looking for same sound but a reasonable 'bedroom' levels ... so do I get a 400RB (think they'll be available soon) or try find a MB150 head ?

Can the MB150 'growl' like it's bigger brothers or is it really more suited to EUB players ?

Planning on running it thru a single 12" (8Ohm) cab .. maybe a TCE RS112 ... home playing but maybe the odd jam session

any advise / opinions most welcome ....

thanks

Si
  2. sifi2112

sifi2112

So can anyone answer this .... ?

Can the 150 series get that 'GK growl' ?
  3. DrDAV14

DrDAV14 Supporting Member

Yes, had to use my 150E into a Berg NV610 for 2mos and it did just fine on a loud stage. The bonus was I started using the Chorus and loved it more than either of my other chorus pedals.
  4. sifi2112

sifi2112

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 150S doesn't have the 'boost' feature, so is it still able to dial in that growl ? Or is the 150E more apt at doing this ? Also are both models 'sealed non tweeter' models ? Can the internal speaker be disconnected & the amp head taken out & used on other cabs (should this be required) ?

thanks for feedback DrDAV14 btw ....

It's just that I'm thinking of trading my 700RB for one of these .. I'm no longer gigging (have sold my cab) but still want to get that lovely GK growl for home practice & possibly recording .. does this growl translate well thru DI ? Is DI both post/pre ?
  5. sifi2112

sifi2112

So MB150S or E ? ... I'm guessing that as the internal speaker can be switched 'off' (for driving other cabs) it's hardwired so the amp can't be taken out ...?

Do you really need the 'boost' function (E model) to get that GK growl or is it still achievable without (S=model) ?

Sorry to keep asking the same questions but I can't seem find out.

thanks
  6. lowendrv

lowendrv

I get a pretty nice growl out of my S model when I run it thru 2 210's stacked.