Gallien Krueger MBE questions

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bob C, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Bob C

Bob C

I've read about these, and of course I'm familiar with the brand. But lately I'm on a serious new rig search, so need more first hand info.

Are the MBE cabs pretty good? Great? Good "for the price"?

Would two MBE210s be a good match with an MB800 head?

Finally, it has been stated in some MB combo discussions that the 210 is boomier than the 212, and that the latter sounds much better all around. Is this true of the MBE cabinets as well?

I'm hoping to go for two 2X10 cabs to shear off any extra inches and pounds that I can.

Thanks.
  2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

This is from the G-K website ~

The MBE Series enclosures are the perfect compliment to the MB Series heads and MB210 II combo. The ultra compact design and exceptionally light weight allow you to create the ideal head and cabinet combination for any situation without sacrificing portability. All MBE cabinets (except the 400w 410MBEII) are equipped with the same high performance Neodymium drivers used in our Neo series cabinets combined with the same high frequency transducer found in the MB Series II combos.

And the MB series combos sound different so YMMV.
  3. Bob C

Bob C

Yeah, I've read that text on their website too. It almost sounds too good to be true, since they are VERY reasonably priced.

On TB, I've read that the MB head is a clear winner and that the MB212 combo is about the best combo around. But I haven't hear that much chatter specifically about the MBE cabs - how the different models compare to each other or how the line compares to other brands.
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

G-K is owned, headed and main engineering from an engineer Robert A Gallien since day one of GMT later renamed Gallien-Krueger (or G-K). He is not a marketing wiz, his business model was/is to provide high quality equipment that is not out of the price range of the average player. No big corporation has gotten in the way of that since the late '60s to today. He would certainly be a richer man by his bank accounts if he charged what his equipment is comparable to.
    G-K (Bob Gallien) takes a conservative engineer's view of power rating his amps (proven by folks like Bass Gear Magazine). That MB800 @ 4 ohms load (two 8 ohm cabs) is capable of over 1,000 watts, I would be very careful using two 210 cabs with the MB800. It will also easily exceed 600 watts @ 8 ohms as some have discovered by running a single 212 cab at high volume levels. The NEO speakers are assembled at the same G-K factory in California so they are unique to G-K.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bob C

Bob C

Point taken. "Don't give them too much juice". Perhaps I'd go with a pair of 212's. Or an MB500 head.

I owned a GMT head a million years ago. Since then, I've occasionally tried out different RB heads in music stores. But it has been quite a while. And I wasn't seriously shopping at the time.

GK says the MB cabs are a perfect match for the MB line of heads. Makes sense. But I've heard it said on TB that GK makes great heads, but only "okay" cabs. Or perhaps that other cabs really make their heads shine.

Any thoughts?
  7. B-string

About all I can offer is the 12" cabs (like the 112 and 212 NEO) as being compared very favorably to expensive boutique cabs (without the price). If you like more old school sound though you would need to go with the heavy RBH line.

You might shoot the TB'er of this thread for additional thoughts http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/review-gk-mbe-mbp-2x12-cabenets-1040564/.
  8. Bob C

Bob C

Thanks. And I just did.
  9. Bob C

Bob C

I'm leaning toward the MB500 head now. I emailed GK customer support with some questions. Waiting to hear back.

Still wondering if the 2X10 cabs sound "inferior" to the 2X12's.

Also, forgot ask: Do the MBE series cabs have cloth grills?
  10. B-string

MBE are cloth grills, NEOs are metal grill.
  11. Bob C

Bob C

Thanks. I just realized I have yet another question. The tweeters on these cabs aren't adjustable - other than on or off. Is that right? And is that unusual or problematic for anyone? How tinny or piercing is the "full on" position?