1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Gallien-Krueger tone questions? (New to the GK world here)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by WayneShank, Mar 28, 2014.

1. WayneShank

WayneShank

So, I just picked up a GK 1001RB 210 combo. Mainly I got it for playing upright, and so far it sounds SUPER ****ing awesome in that environment (95% slap rockabilly/rock n roll).

I am trying to get a little bit different tonal quality now for my punk band (its not noisy punk, very melodic type of stuff, but I still like to have a little 'grit' to my tone. Ex. I was using an AMPEG BA115 combo and I loved the sound I was getting out of it, just not enough volume. Would have the master and volume cranked, had the treble really high, mids just about half, bass just above half, and it never farted out on heavier attacks or chords). I use a pick, and depending on the riff etc switch it up between down picking or alternate picking (duh) and I am a fairly aggressive player (pretty heavy handed with my right hand, its never been an issue).

What I've noticed with the GK in that band after 2 practices, is it is a lot more responsive to what my right hand is doing, gives me a wider dynamic range depending on picking style, intensity... which is where my issue is coming up.

I feel like I am somehow pushing it a bit too hard at certain points, like if I am picking too heavily, or strum a chord to intensely I definitely get a buzz from the amp, but aside from me doing that it sounds beautiful.

I guess my main question is, how can I adjust the settings to get rid of that intense buzz when I strum more aggresively, and how can I get that dirtier tone without compromising the great sound of the GK? I will be picking up a single 15" extension cab in the next week, and I was thinking that may help take some of the low-end weight off the 2x10's?

Thoughts, advice, help? Thanks everyone!

(if it helps, I was using this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ampeg-ba115-bass-combo V&M maxed, T-9 M-5/6 B-5/6

Now using this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/gallien-krueger-1001rb--210-combo)

2. Jim C

Jim C

If it were me, I'd get a GK 2x10 cabinet.

3. lz4005

lz4005

Before the anti-speaker-sizeists start arguing about your cabs...the buzz is probably from clipping the front end of the amp. The easiest way around that is to engage the db cut if you aren't currently using it. Or put a limiter between the bass and amp.

4. WayneShank

WayneShank

I just turned on the 10db cut, and wow... I feel like an idiot, that seemed to make the issue pretty much go away, and I also turned the tweeter all the way down.

To add on, it really won't be a big deal what company I end up using for my extension cab, as long as the wattage and OHMS are consistent, correct?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WayneShank

WayneShank

I just turned on the 10db cut, and wow... I feel like an idiot, that seemed to make the issue pretty much go away, and I also turned the tweeter all the way down.

To add on, it really won't be a big deal what company I end up using for my extension cab, as long as the wattage and OHMS are consistent, correct?

7. lz4005

lz4005

I love how GK's sound, but yeah when you clip the front end they get ugly in a bad way. And a tweeter would only make that ugly sound even worse.

Wattage and ohm compatability are what's important in extension cabs. Brands don't really matter.

8. but_ch

but_ch

My experience has been to keep the "volume" knob lower than you would think. It's not like an Ampeg, where a little clipping is good. This is different. Use the "boost" to dial up some grit (9:00 for me) and use the "master" for the main volume. I set volume and boost and haven't touched them in months.

For the most part, I have the EQ flat. A little goes a long way. I run the contour and presence up about 2:00 on my 700rb.

9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Incorrect. You need to audition mixed cabs yourself. Some combinations sound bad. Some sound good to one bassist and bad to another.

Odds are better of finding a "good" combination with same series of cabinets, but you can grab the matching extension cab by mail order knowing for certain it will sound the same but more hefty.

10. raventepes

raventepes

Rather than picking up a 15" cab, I'd have a long look at a pair of 12's. All that low end goodness that a 15 will give, with the punchiness of 10's. Plus, 12's seem to not get nearly as muddy in the lower registers.

Just food for thought...

11. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

There is zero truth to this.