1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Gallien Kruger 1001 RB II

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jiffyjammer1954, Dec 15, 2013.

1. jiffyjammer1954

jiffyjammer1954

I bought my 1001 about a month ago slightly used. I chose it based on a ton of positive reviews. I like the amp but this is kind of strange. I play an American fender deluxe jazz V through two cabinets, an SWR Golight 410 and a G K Neo 212. The bottom end is so heavy, I have to turn the bass control all the way down on the amp and my guitar or its overwhelming for most music. On other amps Ive owned I would run all tone controls on the amp and guitar pretty much flat but with this G K I can turn the bass control to more than 9 oclock and the bottom end is so heavy it will pop the speakers with the volume at about half. So if someone knows, is this normal for the 1001 RB to be so bottom end oriented:bassist:? Thanks...Jim
  2. Yurtra

Yurtra

Do you have the 4/5 string button pushed in?
  3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I had a 1001RB-II for several years and found that the best cabs to use with it are the GK RBH series.
  4. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Yurts makes a good point.
    Also, this may be a mixed cab mismatch.
    I generally have the bass on mine at 10-11 o'clock
  5. wardak

wardak Supporting Member

I have a 1001 with different cabs than that, and use a Tech 21 VT to shape the sound. So I can't help you with your exact setup, but I can say the 1001 has lots more power than I usually need for anything and I can see where the combo of gear you mentioned and maybe how it's used can get you those results. I don't think that flat EQ settings on the 1001 EQ knobs are truly flat output. Try adjusting the EQ *and* volume as needed to get your sound in balance--maybe at a lower volume first and work your way up see when the problems start. Also, how many ohms are those cabs? What kind of condition are your cables in? Yeah check the 4/5 switch. And maybe you need to run the pad too. Also the output stage knobs don't need to be maxed.
  6. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    flat on GK heads, is, more or less:
    treble at 10 oclock, high and low mid at 1 oclock, bass at 10 oclock.
    This varies a little across models, but is accurate, more or less.