1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Gallien-Kruger made in USA

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ThomasG, Apr 17, 2010.

1. ThomasG

ThomasG

Are all of Gallien-Kruger bass amps made in the US or only certain models ? Thanks to my fellow knowlegable tech bass cats.
  2. garp

garp

Only certain models. For example, Gallien-Krueger’s Backline Series is manufactured in China.
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

All "RB" series and Fusion amps are made in California. Backline and MB's in G-K's self owned and operated factory in China. NOTE G-K's factory in China IS owned and under direct control of only Bob Gallien and builds only Gallien Krueger equipment.
  4. ThomasG

ThomasG

Thanks for the info. I figured that based on price.
  5. Rockman

Rockman Supporting Member

How does the price of GK make you think its US made? If anything its relatively cheap compared to most other companies.
  6. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

I think he meant the difference in price between the RB's and the backlines.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    with a corresponding drop in quality in the cabs, but not so much with the heads if you ask me. thru a good cab, the backline heads sound pretty good to me.
  8. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

I have both a BL600 and 1001RB-II. Both sound great, are very reliable and pump out plenty of power. Country of origin has no effect on the quality of the product.
  9. capnsandwich

capnsandwich

I have a GK MB212 I just got and it's made in China. I also have a GK 700 RBII and a Backline 115 but I have no idea where they're made. The 700 RBII sounds incredible as does the MB 212.
  10. Rockman

Rockman Supporting Member

But the backline cabs are burpy as heeeelllll.
  11. stuandtheju

stuandtheju

Dunno if this is the correct place to put this.- So I have come across and old GK 200RG guitar head Yep a guitar head. I did not know that GK even made these. I had been under the impression that they had only ever manufactured bass stuff, anyway, I digress. It sounds great has two gain stages on the dirty channel, the clean is to die for! Four band eq and reverb that's as good as any I have ever heard. Though I cannot seem to find out how many watts it is. I would like to know so I can perfectly match the correct cabinet to it without fear of either blowing it or burning out voice coils from under-driving it. Any help would would be appreciated.

Edit: By the way the plate on the back states it's date of manufacture as 2-1982
  12. jelwood

jelwood Supporting Member

The 200RG is 100 watts RMS, 200 watts program, meaning you should pair it with a cab that handles more than 100 watts. RG stands for "Rackmount Guitar," so yes you are right that it's a guitar amp. Most people don't know that GK made some guitar heads but they did and they have their fans. My cousin had a GK 250 RL guitar head and the cleans were the absolute cleanest cleans I have ever heard.

P.S. you will never burn out voice coils by under driving a cab...whoever told you that must have been a salesman.
  13. rythmicillusion

rythmicillusion Supporting Member

Anyone know where the cabs are made? I'm coming pretty close to grabbing up a new Neo-212 II.
  14. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

GK also built a 200MK that had two independent channels and a chorus for Keyboard and a 200RCB head for bass. The EQ section on those bass amps is among my favorites for Double Bass.

Ric
  15. B-string

All cabs and speakers are made in the China plant. Closer to the poplar wood and NEO for the speakers.
  16. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    To answer your question, the top-tier RB series amplifiers are made here, everything else is chinese.
  17. B-string

To be clear....the G-K plant in China is staffed with GK employees that are Chinese in the GK owned plant.
  18. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Ya, I know. It's a little better chinese.:p
  19. Anarchyok

Anarchyok

The RB series is USA made for the USA market, other countries get RBs that are made in China. This was info GK told me a year ago when I asked.
  20. Hounddog

Hounddog

Disclosures:
    Sadowsky Featured Artist
    Vic,

It has no effect on quality but anytime I can help keep ppl in the USA working I do it.