Galveston Bass Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jun 17, 2005.

1. deathbloomslife

deathbloomslife

Has anyone tried one of these before? I ask because I'm looking to get my first fretless bass, and they have a very nice one on ebay with a "PJ" set.

Can any of you out there suggest any other cheapo bass brands that would be a dependable/reliable first fretless, BESIDES SX/Brice/Douglas???

Thanks for paying me some attention, and thank you for leaving a response :D . (it works on the no smoking signs :rolleyes: )
    ~Ryan

2. tplyons

tplyons

Played a couple Galvestons, never impressed. They make some cool stuff, but not too high quality. If you're looking for an odd configuration cheap, they're the company, but if you're looking for a good instrument cheap, they're not so much what you want.

3. randlk

randlk

I have a Galveston 4-string accoustic/electric that I really like. I looked at a lot af accoustics (including Ovation and Martin) before I ordered the Galveston, sight unseen, and I have been exceedingly happy with it in terms of sound for value. It plays well, has a surprisingly good accoustic sound, low action, and is nice and soft for my "girlie" fingers. :) For my paltry sum, I got a really good buy. :D

4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Is it loud enough to play with acoustic guitars?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

I used to have a low end Yamaha fretless (I think it was an RBX 250, or something like that) that was really good. They make some of the best low priced basses I've tried.

7. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Galveston are hit or miss. I believe all they are is a label, so there is no consistency between the instruments. I've seen some that are total crapola, and some that are very good. I have a Galveston 12 string which is the same as Carlo Robelli and Hense. It is a decent mid-level giggable instrument. I've also seen some 4 bangers that are below the quality of the cheapest Squire. So, if you can play it first, and it is decent, get it. I would hesitate buying a Galveston sight unseen.

8. kmega

kmega

Hi, y'all.
    For what it's worth, I just found a Galveston Violin Bass in my local Music-Go-Round in Atlanta area. I played it in the music store for about an hour before I bought it, running through some of our songs. The neck needed adjusting, but one of the guys adjusted it on the spot and it made all the difference. I really like the way it plays and sounds. Haven't had a chance to crank it with the group yet, though.
    The controls on the two pickups are very simple (fortunately for me). Also, I have relatively small hands for a guy and, while I have owned and loved P-basses and one Rick, I like the shorter reach required.
    Regards,
    \kmega

9. K-SOLO

K-SOLO

Hi...I'm new to this bass forum,and i keep a couple of "low-end" price basses(a red Galveston P/J 4 string "fretless"...and a SX black 62 prec.with the maple neck.) Both of these basses "must" have fell together right when they were made overseas,because their tone is "bitchin" in their own perspective ways.The Galveston "fretless" has more than enough "mwah" all over the "ebonite" fretboard...and the SX prec. is a "funksters" dream.They both needed a good "set-up"when they were shipped to me(i put roto's on the fretless...and "funkmaster light" roto's and a "Badass" bridge on the SX.) There is "good&crap" in eveything that is being manufactured today(here...YES,here and overseas.)So "anything & everything" you buy regardless of "where" it comes from,"will" be a "crapshot" untill you actuall roll a "7 or 11" with it.I will definatly be giging with both of these so-called "cheap-basses"(that is what i bought them for..."TO PLAY THEM"!) So "gentleman",the old saying..."you get what you pay for",is NOT necessarly true.Peace to all and "happy thumpin"

10. Snarf

Snarf

11. Never_grew_up

Never_grew_up

Do you have an objection against SX/Brice/Douglas, or are you just looking for alterntatives? Based on your criteria of a cheapo, dependable/reliable fretless they would fit the bill.

I've played ehe Squier Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz several times and it seems to be a good value:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Fretless-Jazz-Bass?sku=519637

I haven't played:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-LX200BF-Fretless-Series-II-Bass-?sku=512226

or:
    http://www.samash.com/catalog/showi...tains=*fretles*&Search_Type=SEARCH&GroupCode=

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Rhapsody-HBF-Fretless-Bass?sku=519882

12. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

Let me guess, Snarf: Floppy necks? :D

To the OP:
    There are some great basses on the used market, including Yamaha and the US made Peaveys. I'd look used if I were you. Some great deals under $200!