Game of Thrones Discussion Thread (SPOILER ALERT- from the show only)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

This'll be a discussion thread for GOT. Spoilers shall be revealed...from the show only....no spoilers from the books, please.

Anyway.......Joffrey's demise was quite possibly the best on screen death scene I've ever seen. My guess is Margery poisoned him with the cake. It's fairly obvious it wasn't Tyrion.
  2. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

Knowing the 'truth' of the issue is a blessing and a curse.

It was a very satisfying death scene. Nearly as satisfying as Arya wielding Needle in the first episode of series 4, even though that was just a nameless goon.
  3. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Joffrey indeed got his just desserts. He was a sociopathic bully with absolute power. A terrible combination. The way he tormented Tyrion was unforgiveable. And sure enough Cersei instantly tried to lay the blame on Tyrion.

As for Arya getting Needle back? That wasn't a nameless goon that she killed. It was Polliver. He had been part of her death prayer since she started reciting it in Harrenhal. She got another of the guys on that list, the Tickler, when she, Gendry and Hot Pie escaped Harrenhal with the help of Jaqen Hagr.
  4. GrumpiusMaximus

You're absolutely right, of course. I'd just completely forgotten the death poem...
  5. SnowCal

SnowCal

Nope. It was Margery's mom, Olenna. Watch the fingers closely.

Sequence of events goes like this:

1. Drunk fool/ex-knight Dontos gives Sansa a beautiful necklace from his mother as a token of gratitude. Seriously? This is a bassists forum. We all know that drunk fools will pawn everything they can get their hands on. Somebody gave Dontos that necklace to give to Sansa.

2. Sansa wears that specific necklace at the royal feast.

3. Olenna walks over to Sansa towards the start of the feast. She brushes Sansa's hair, then holds Sansa's necklace. Then she lets go. Then the camera shows Sansa's necklace. Olenna just broke off one of the gems, far right. Sansa doesn't notice.

4. Olenna then walks back to her seat. Which she is sitting in right next to Joffrey's cup when Joffrey demands that Tyrion bring him more wine. Joffrey drinks that wine, which Olenna spiked with a poisoned gem, and dies.
  6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I was thinking it was Sansa. When Tyrion is fumbling for the cup under the table they make it a point to show Sansa pick it up, she has it for a few seconds, then hands it to him. Then right after that she's suddenly very anxious to leave. Could be a red herring though.
  7. GrumpiusMaximus

Quoted for truth.
  8. ShoeManiac

Very cool episode last night. It was great to finally see Braavos. And the scene at the Iron Bank was fantastic for expanding on both Davos and Stannis. Davos may have been a smuggler, but he's now representing himself well as the Hand of the King to a bank that's essentially the Goldman Sachs of it's time. And he convinced them to bankroll Stannis. It was cool to see Saladhor Saan again, too. But I suspected that he would make his way back into the mix at some point, since someone needs to sail their army North.

The Meereen scenes are making more and more sense. When I read the books I had a far more difficult time getting into the intrigue in Meereen, but the show is handling it pretty well. Clearly, the dragons seem to be beyond Dany's control. And that's almost certainly going to come into play later on. As for Hizdhar Zo Loraq? I think that scene played out well, but it seems as though he's trying to play on Dany's emotions and sense of justice.

The small council meeting was great. The Red Viper's disdain for formality and kissing Tywin Lannister's ass was readily apparent. And contrasting that against Mace Tyrell basically being Tywin's lapdog was pretty funny. But I think the more important scene was clearly Jaime meeting with Tywin to bargain for Tyrion's life. Jaime's path of redemption has been a great storyline. And his loyalty to Tyrion is one of the only true and honest relationships in the entire series. His willingness to leave the Kings Guard and agree to Tywin's demands in order to save Tyrion was a fantastic moment.

And then there was Shae. The trial was absolutely a farce. Especially Meryn Trant and Pycelle's testimony. But Tyrion seemed prepared to go along with Jaime's plan until Shae took the stand. And I could not blame him for letting loose on the sham that it was, and Cersei's clear attempts to draw him out with Shae.

Next week is going to be great! Although the rotating cast of actors playing The Mountain has been kind of difficult to deal with. I really would have liked to see Conan Stevens playing the Mountain in the trial by combat that's coming.
    tastybasslines likes this.
  9. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Yeah, I thought it was a great episode. Nice to see Stannis getting what seems will be a much more expanded role, and nice to see him finally getting away from that hideout.

Keep in mind that I have not read the books, but I'm going to guess that everyone can clearly see how ridiculous Shae's testimony was, and that they could not possibly convict Tyrion. Prince of Oberynn figured it out right away.

I am also very curious to see what will happen with Reek. They have strung this storyline along for a long time now, and surely it must be resolved soon. Ramsey may have gone too far in his attempt to send Reek undercover as Theon, and I again guessing that Yara's rescue attempt will be just enough to snap him out of it and he will make a break for it. At least I hope so.

Again, have not read the books, but I can see Arya killing an assassin who will soon be coming for the Hound.

Lastly, Peter Dinklage is a fantastic actor. He pulled the last part of the trial off with conviction. As for trial by combat, my money is on Jamie to fight him, or the dude that was training Jamie...Bronn is it? But it would be awesome if somehow Brienne came back to fight him.
  10. ShoeManiac

The whole Reek / Ramsay Snow story has been more than a little creepy. And it was very much that way in the books, too. We already got a sense of what's going to happen with Reek/Theon from Roose Bolton at the beginning of the season. He and Ramsay intend to use Theon to fool the Ironborn at Moat Cailin to give up that castle at The Neck. It's a strategic crossroads for getting into the North from the Riverlands, and the Ironborn still hold it. Roose Bolton needs to secure Moat Cailin in order to secure a passage into the North by land.
  11. Gorn Captain

I got goosebumps.
  12. ShoeManiac

Dinklage could have easily gone over the top with that scene. But his restraint was remarkable. Somehow he was able to express a combination of heartbreak, rage, and disgust in a way that showed that Tyrion still had his inherent nobility and dignity. And he was determined to provoke Tywin's wrath after Shae's spectacle on the stand.
  13. Gorn Captain

14. Gorn Captain

Was there an episode on Sunday? I don't have cable and use a buddy's account for HBO go, so maybe it's not there yet.
  15. ShoeManiac

No. All of the HBO original series were off this past Sunday. Presumably for the holiday weekend.
  16. Gorn Captain

Gosh darn it.
  17. Gorn Captain

Dinklage was great in the new xmen movie, btw. That dude can act.

Speaking of Dinklage:
  18. Gorn Captain

19. Gorn Captain

Wow. Very Inigo Montoya at the end there, though Inigo didn't get his head crushed by Count Rugen's bare hands.
    Tat2dHeart likes this.
  20. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I was beginning to like that guy.
    cheezewiz likes this.