1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

GAMERS - Aliens: Colonial Marines

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RhynoRock, Feb 9, 2013.

1. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

I'm looking forward to this game a lot. The previews look killer, and I love the Aliens' saga. Anyone else excited?

2. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

I am not a gamer but I saw the cover and how can they make a Colonial Marines game with Drake and without Vasquez? The female machine gunner just backed up the ground breaking part of having Warrant Officer Ripley. Not Drake who was just another red shirt, only with a bigger gun.

3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I'm just not sure what platform to get it on, it'll be graphically neutered on console but I don't think my current PC would handle it all that well either.

Will probably wait and see what platforms my mates get it on.

It does look sweet!

4. scorpionldr

scorpionldr

isn't the majority of the hype placed on the fact that it'll be on Wiii U? Cuz whenever I hear those three words, the fourth word and the one letter always seem to follow....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

This is taking place after Aliens (film #2) did. This is actually being tied right in with the Aliens saga. The Sulaco is derelict and adrift in space, your job as a grunt is to find survivors.

7. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

I have a feeling I'm going to pass. I don't know what platform the demos have been on, but the graphics and the game-play really doesn't look that good.

8. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Really the posters had Drake, I think Hudson, and Sgt Apone who both died in the movie along with Cpl. Hicks

9. Etienned

Etienned

Nah, you cannot have a Drake in a game unless you have a Sullivan too : )

10. scorpionldr

scorpionldr

I get what you're saying; the graphics look kind of glassy/glossy sort of like nintendo graphics did when gamecube was just starting to come out, and even then it got made fun of over it.

11. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

I just can't imagine the gameplay will be that great. If I'm wrong I'll pick it up in six months or so when its $10.

12. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

IGN just posted a review, with nothing good to say about it. I'm havin 2nd thoughts about the game. Most of the time, when IGN posts a review its pretty on par with my thoughts.

13. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

14. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I'm not going to be buying anymore console games unless I HAVE to have it, mostly to play with other people not on PC.

With Xbox and Playstation changing their systems to not allow used games - games better be good, cause you are stuck with it.

15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Are they really? Thats lame if they are. I buy all my games used.

16. scorpionldr

scorpionldr

Source?

17. tastybasslines

Yep. Supposedly they are doing it to protect their game developers.

It's still *technically* rumor, but all signs point towards it and there has been numerous references to it already.

Now if they sell their games at used prices, I'd probably be OK with it but I STILL couldn't resell it if I wanted to.

Until I find out for sure, I won't be buying anything. If I had to buy a console in the future, I'd probably check out OUYA first, and see what the Steambox has to offer, over PS and Xbox.

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Thats not cool at all, if true!

If I had to pay full price for games (~$60) Id maybe own two.

The only game Ive considered paying full price for is GTAV, and thats still a maybe.

Thanks for the links V

19. tastybasslines

20. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Wow, I can't believe I hadn't heard about that. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out with the OUYA and Steambox coming out around the same time as the new Sony/Microsoft consoles come out.

I think Sony/Microsoft would be nailing their own coffin shut if they completely do away with used games with the next gen consoles.

21. Simo98

Simo98

It's because producers have to provide the same services to people, even when they purchase the games used. I don't agree with it, but I can see where they're coming from, people buy second hand games (which they make no money out of) and then use there servers etc. as much as somebody who purchased the game new.

How it's any different to the original purchaser playing the game longer, I don't know, surely the license holder is entitled to use the servers as much they see fit, whether they're the same person or not, but since you never actually purchase anything and simply temporarily license the ability to play with their content, they're basically entitled to **** you over as much as they decide they want to.

If some healthy competition opens up in the console market, maybe we'll see some changes, but as it stands there isn't much you can do. Best solution would be to start gaming on PC in my opinion, that way when publishers/developers start to treat their customer like **** you can just go pirate their games if you really want, or wait till they go on sale for a few dollars.

Even in the PC gaming realm, lots of publishers are pushing games that are online only as a "Gameplay feature".

The legality of selling somebody something as a product that is actually just a license is already under debate within Australian consumer law (not sure about overseas), if they take away your ability to transfer or sell what you've bought I forsee a big hoo-hah in the not too distant future.

Also, the fact that we now have games being sold that are multiplayer only, which are having their servers shut off rapidly to encourage people to move onto the newer games is a little sad I think. Halo 3 was just shut off the other day, gone forever. There will be kids growing up in this era that can never go back and play there favourite childhood games again, which I think is terrible.

I was pissed enough when Microsoft shut off their Freelancer global server after many many years! :D