"Gangnam Style" - Anyone Playing It?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jaywa, Nov 2, 2012.

1. jaywa

jaywa

First off... I totally don't get the "buzz" behind this song.

But anyway. My BL wants us to play this on a wedding gig tomorrow night. We don't have the instrumentation or effects to do it (we don't even have a keyboard) but he thinks we can still pull it off. I think I've copped the bass line (such as it is) but don't know what else a 2-guitar, bass and drums band can do to get anywhere close to the recorded version. Thoughts or suggestions?

BTW we are also going to play "Call Me Maybe" (first time) on the same gig. I tried to talk my BL into just playing these two songs as break music but he wants us to give them a go live. So I guess my degradation from semi-legit semi-pro musician to shameless pop whore is complete. :meh:

2. skidrawk

skidrawk Supporting Member

3. jaywa

jaywa

We don't use 'em. That's the problem. I'm one of these guys that HATES to go out there and try to hack through these hyper-produced crap-pop tracks with traditional rock band instrumentation. My BL says as long as we get the beat, the bass line and the vocals right we'll be OK. He feels like if you give a new hot song a go the crowd will give you credit for it even if it varies quite a bit from the recorded version. His instincts are really good on stuff like this but still I'm skeptical.

We'll see I guess. Part of me hopes we can pull it off and the other part of me hopes it fails badly so we don't have to do it again.

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DerTeufel

DerTeufel

7. cronker

cronker

In one band, we play Umm-Bop, frequently voted as worst song of all time.
    Guess what?
    Goes right off!!

Those really annoying songs work for a reason - they are lowest-common denominator catchy.
    Throw down The Vengabus while you're at it.

8. pklima

pklima

IME he's mostly right. Yeah, you don't need to make them sound just like the originals, people will like them. You will be more than OK.

The vocals are important, kinda, though on some harder songs we've even gotten away with just doing the first verse twice and nobody ever said anything. The beat is important, kinda, as long as it's danceable, the tempo is close, and the stronger accents are in the right places (so don't play dancehall with a house beat) but it doesn't need to really sound like the original. The bassline usually isn't important as long as you get the harmony right. I often stop playing bass completely when rapping, or at least simplify what I'm playing vastly, and nobody seems to mind.

Very very memorable instrumental hooks are important on songs like "Mr. Saxobeat" or "No Limit", but only if they're really extremely catchy. I've played "Danza Kuduro" plenty of times without anyone ever really playing the accordion parts right - judging by crowd response that never really mattered. Of course it's better to play those parts right, but it doesn't seem to really be important in most cases.

9. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

the vengabus is coming, and everybody's jumping.

10. eriky4003

eriky4003

Pretty cocky, BL.
    Have you guys even rehearsed it to show what can and cannot be done? BL may not want to attempt without a preliminary run-through.
    Good luck!

11. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

12. Luke19Boarder

Luke19Boarder

Search YouTube for rock versions of the song for ideas on composition. There are tons out there.

etc.

13. jaywa

jaywa

Thanks. The good news is, the wedding couple are friends of his who are big fans of the band. It's about as friendly and low-risk of an environment as we could ask for to try out some new stuff. The only way it could backfire I suppose is if we fail badly and it puts off anyone at the party who might have been a potential future client. But IME potential clients make their hiring decision a lot more on what they see (lots of people on the dance floor having a good time and a band that's having fun onstage), than on what they hear coming out of the P.A.

14. pklima

pklima

I have a strong dislike of rock versions of pop songs, but since the gig's tomorrow in this case it could be a good easy way out.

15. elgecko

elgecko

16. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

I actually really like that song...and I am not a bog fan of cheezy synthesized pop...but how can you not laugh at PSY? Its all in good humor. Why the heck not try it? It will get everybody rolling for sure! op op o o o gangnam style.
    Also, my bro was just in Mexico and he said he saw not 1 but 2 mariachi bands covering it!!!!!!!!

17. Luke19Boarder

Luke19Boarder

The buzz over the song is that it's this year's Macarena - Foreign, catchy, silly dance, etc.

Plus - it's got a sense of humor, so it appeals to beyond the typical synth-pop crowd.

18. Ric_thumb60659

Ric_thumb60659

We just played hangman style for the first time Halloween weekend and the place went nuts. It was actually really funny.

My bands kind of getting known as that band that rocks up new pop tunes. Its can be fun.

19. socialleper

socialleper

20. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Instrumentation would be the least of my worries. How on earth can you pull off those lyrics if you don't have a good lingual handle on Korean?

21. jaywa

jaywa

The gig is in northern South Dakota... believe me no one will know the difference. :D