1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Garage Band files to Pro Tools PC

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Squawk, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Squawk

Squawk

I recently bought a iPad mini and the Apogee Jam 96k. I have 14 days to try it out. If I don't like it, I can return it for a full refund.

My main reason for buying said setup is to record bass lines/riffs so as not forget them and to be able to transfer files from iPad Garage Band to a hard drive and then edit a track or let my guitarist lay down a rhythm or lead track over it.

So all you IOS recording bassists, can this be done? And how big of a pain is it? Taking a file recorded on iPad through Garage Band and transferring it to PC to be used in Pro Tools?

2. SiSoldier

SiSoldier

3. Squawk

Squawk

Anyone have answers? I tried google. Didn't come up with anything.

4. vin*tone

vin*tone

If you have a Mac you are home and hosed with Garageband or Logic (which can open GB files.). I don't know about PCs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. vin*tone

vin*tone

7. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    How about 'Steinberg way' ?
    I used Steinberg Cubase in Windows PC as my DAW before migrate to Mac.
    Great DAW too.

Cubase for iPad

8. Squawk

Squawk

The whole point if this is to be able to record a track on my iPad, regardless of the DAW, and be able export it off my iPad and import into Pro Tools on a PC.

So any recommendations for a DAW would be great so long as they can do just what I need.Garage Band, Auria, etc.

9. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    Isn't there any kind of raw recorder (PCM, WAV, hi end AU) for iOS? If not you may have to export an MP3 or something else lossy.

10. chungweishan

chungweishan

http://www.delora.com/tips_and_trends/export_garageband/export_garageband.html

I found this. It's a roundabout way to export tracks, but apparently it works. Basically, you "Track Lock" an audio track, which makes a duplicate audio-file. Then you just find the Garage Band project, show the package contents, and look for the track-locked audio file. That's the file to send to your PC-using musicians. Of course, they may have to convert the file type from .AIFF to .WAV.

11. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    Never use it, but I think it should be able to

12. Squawk

Squawk

Bump in the head

13. skwee

skwee

From the mac version of GarageBand, I'm able to export an uncompressed (.AIFF) file from GarageBand using the Share menu. My wife has the ipad at work right now so I can't see what the options are there. Does the ipad version have this?

14. Corey Y

Corey Y Supporting Member

Probably bouncing tracks down to .wav files, I would think. I don't use GarageBand (I use Logic Pro 9), but I have it on my iMac. I could poke around on it tonight and see how exactly to do that. Having done freelance recording and mixing work though, I've heard a lot of people go on about how they can't have their project that was tracked in PT mixed in any other format and that's hooey. You just bounce down the tracks to whatever native lossless format the DAW is using, which is usually a preference you can change (I always use .wav) and those are usually no problem to import. Not the same as importing a session, but you can usually print tracks with fx/plugins if you want and generally you bounce them all down with the same start point, so time aligning is not an issue.

This kind of thing is perfectly normal if you're dealing with a separate mix engineer on a recording project. You generally print all your tracks to a lossless digital format (sometimes with and without fx, depending on the project) and the mixing engineer imports then into their DAW of preference and mixes them. I doubt there's a way to export/import a mix session from GarageBand to Pro Tools though.