Garage Band for Windows?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Stu Rose, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Stu Rose

Stu Rose

I had a good Mac now dead, is there anything like GB for Windows 8 that people like?

Won't be getting a new Mac for quite a while.
  2. kreider204

kreider204

Free, Audacity is close, but I don't think it has all the same features (definitely no MIDI).
    Cakewalk Music Creator 6 is on Amazon for $30 last I checked.
  3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Audacity is free and pretty easy to use. I have never had any luck laying down multiple tracks and getting them to line up correctly, but I am sure that is more to do with me not knowing what I am doing, than the software itself. I use it to record sound samples of my bass and guitar builds. It works great for what I use it for.
  4. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Audacity yeah.
    I use Ableton Live when I record ideas. It has midi and direct recording.
    I program drum tracks in Fruity Loops.

Neither Fl Studio nor Ableton are free, doesn't mean I didn't get them free.
    Ableton Live Lite Fender edition is what I have, got it with my Fender Mustang.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. darjama

darjama

Reaper isn't free, but it's uncrippled when you try it. And it's a really powerful program.
  7. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I've used Mixcraft. It's pretty good, but no garageband. I like garageband so much, I bought a mac just for it. because the truth is........i absolutely hate macs for everything else. That's how much i liked Garageband (i only got to try it in the first place cause my gf had a mac that since passed...) It's nice anyway to have a computer dedicated only to recording. But yeah, i don't know audacity, but i'd reccomend Mixcraft. I still use it to make beats with Superior Drummer.
  8. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

REAPER's the best DAW at the best price I've used on any platform. Hands down.
  9. My name is Mudd

My name is Mudd

Word!
  10. eukatheude

eukatheude

And it's cheap!
  11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Reaper is great.
    It also runs on a Mac if your ever go Back
  12. Ed P

Ed P Supporting Member

Another thumbs up for Audacity.
  13. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Audacity can record, but you'll want Reaper if you want amp/ effect models, loops, and digital instruments.

Why won't you get another Mac?
  14. Stu Rose

Stu Rose

I like MACs don't have the $$ right now, a lot of expenses. Plus I just bought a new bass coming next week, just finished being built. Lull M4V :D
  15. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Lots of opinions on DAWs. I've used Audacity and others. Now I'm a big fan of Presonus Studio One. They offer a free version that's pretty versatile. $100 buys you a huge upgrade with tons of effects and instruments. Basically it gives you the power of ProTools or Logic that is much simpler to use. And without the headaches you often run into with hardware glitches. Studio One works on about any Windows machine.

http://www.presonus.com/products/studio-one
  16. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

DIY Hackbook instructions:
    1. Acquire Mac Installer cd. (Or burn your own)
    2. Wipe pc hard drive, reboot with disc inserted.
    3. Install OSx.
    4. Enjoy!

More detailed instructions to be found thru Google.
  17. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Reaper is lightyears better than Audacity. My cell phone has better recording capability than Audacity :)
  18. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

Audacity is a wonderful wave editor. If you're simply looking to record a sound and then do very minor editing, Audacity is very simple to use and powerful. I tend to use it to trim tracks and prepare them for entering into a DAW project. When I was studying for my degree, I used Audacity extensively for quick and accurate wave editing.

For the DAW, I use Reaper. I take my edited wave files and arrange them in Reaper. I have a paid-for version. It's identical to the trial version. No complaints whatsoever, it's very good. Until I bought Reaper, I'd been using Logic for about 8 years and had used every version from 5 to 9.
  19. schecter5string

schecter5string

Another vote for Reader!
  20. Marial

Marial Pooped Supporting Member

At this point I don't really miss my Mac much, but I definitely miss Garage Band. I tried Reaper and couldn't get past the GUI. I ended up getting Cubase and after some initial pains I'm now using it at the same level I used GB and I'm pretty happy with it. The Steingberg CI2 interface is cheap and comes bundled with a lower-level version of Cubase that works just fine.
  21. thewildest

thewildest Supporting Member

hmmm.. what is "Windows"?