Garry W. Tallent (Springsteen's Bassist)..... Under-rated?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Oct 8, 2007.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Expectation Is The Root of All Suffering. Supporting Member

Being a Springsteen fan and a lover of all things bass, I listen to Garry's playing quite a bit. His tone is phenomenal and his fingerstlyle playing incredible. His lines are so tasteful, yet they move alot and really keep the momentum going. I couldnt imagine Springsteen's songs would sound as good without Garry's playing. Especially the BTR album and previous albums.

If you're a Bruce fan you have to checkout the 30 year aniversary album. It includes two dvds. One is a documentary chronicling the making of BTR and one is Bruce's first concert in London, 1975. Very insightful.

I dont see Garry W. Talent talked about much here. Is he under-rated?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think he is. But it's the nature of Bruce's music to not let anyone stand out but Bruce. Even Clarence doesn't stand out like he used to. I can't believe Bruce was able to reform the entire E Street Band. Either he's paying them a fortune or they have zero pride. My guess is the former.

3. davis1

davis1

Did he play on The River? I like that album a lot. Hungry Heart has one of the most memorable bass lines ever

4. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Supporting Member

Why would they have zero pride??? Why wouldn't those guys want to keep working with him, the albums and tours, etc. besides just the $$$???

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Because he fired them for no reason just because Sting told him he should, then he put out the two worst albums of his career.

7. jacove

jacove

I love Garry's playing...a really solid and supportive style, that contributes to the bands soul/old school vibe. I saw them in Asbury Park a couple of weeks ago at the rehearsal shows, and they are still one of the greatest acts out there...

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Media:
    yeah Garry's playing is very solid and supportive, need to hear more about him around here.

9. ::::BASSIST::::

Bruce has changed, no doubt in my mind. I used to be one of those Springsteen "nuts", but the last couple albums I havent even really bothered going out to get them "right away". In the documentary of the making of BTR it flashes between him in the midst of the making of the album and him today (along with many other key players). Anyway, you get a good idea of his personality and he's definitely "gone Hollywood".

That said the E Streeters are pretty loyal to Bruce. In an interview with Max Weinberg he said that he'd always go back to Bruce whenever Bruce needed him. There is no doubt that Bruce is the "boss" in the band, but after such a long time playing together I think they are almost like brothers. I can't for the life of me, understand why he brought in that new band for the Human Touch/Lucky Town tour. Definitely one of the low points in his career in my opinion.

Back on topic... Garry is very good, I'd wager better than your average bassist in a band of that calibre/popularity.

I really like the tone he gets with his danelectro in the making of the BTR documentary. That's what a bass *should* sound like.

10. wodock

wodock Supporting Member

Gary W Tallent has also done a lot of stuff in Nashville (I don't hear much about country music here) I know he has produced and played on some really good albums - one being Lucinda Williams' Car Wheels On A Gravel Road which is one of my favorite albums of all time

TW

11. KJung

KJung

While Bruce and the E Street band has become (IMO as always) a painful oldies show at this point (almost too painful to even deal with), I LOVE the Boss!!!, and Talent is the real deal... the perfect 'rock' bass player for that music and that band!

I had the amazing experience of seeing Bruce in maybe 1972 (memory is a little 'foggy'!) at the Fox Theatre in St. Louis. That was, IMO, the pre E street glory days with David Sancious, and Talent on bass. Those first two albums were IMO the top of the top, but I guess Born to Run was OK too:D. The tour that I saw was a bit before the Born to Run album came out (although I seem to remember them playing that tune from an 'upcoming album'), and it was one of those magic 4 hour intense concerts. I was in the middle of an unfortunate Coltrane phase at that time (nothing wrong with Coltrane... only the attitude that comes with 'being into it':rollno:), and a friend dragged me out to see this 'new guy'. Holy Moly! I thought I was going to see some three chord hack and came away a lifetime fan!

It's pretty brutal now... all the life is sucked out of the band (although The Rising was a pretty amazing 9/11 tribute... one of the few musical tributes that actually seemed to mean something to me). That 'Live in NYC' CD depresses me just thinking about it:bawl:

Whew:D.... kind of got carried away... Gary Talent is WAY under-rated:)

12. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Yes, I believe he's underrated. Just to underscore that, I saw a piece on 60 Minutes last night about Springsteen's new tour. They showed every member of the E-Street Band... except Garry Tallent. They introduced every member of the E-Street Band except for Tallent and Clarence Clemons (at least they showed Clarence).

13. JohnLovesRush

JohnLovesRush

Springsteen bass lines are very basic though.. .. basic is good! but he isn't really a dynamic bassist like Geddy or Squire.. he just plods along playing the traditional bass role!..

After saying that ..I would still agree he is under-rated..I love the boss btw:D

14. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

He's one of the best bassists you can find, and he played with Ian Hunter!

15. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

From what I understand, Bruce divides the tour money evenly with the band, at least he used to......nice chunk of change.;)

/back on topic....longtime fan of Gary Tallent! That live show in London that comes with the BTR anniversary, shows how scary and tight that band was in '75. Compare that band to a lot of other name rock bands in the 70's, they came to play.

BTW...I dig the new album!

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Tour money evenly? Wow, that's amazing! Yeah, I'd come back for that. I'm sure he makes at least half a mil per show.

17. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

18. ::::BASSIST::::

Agreed. Plodding along isnt a way I'd describe Gary's playing.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that Clarence had a fairly bad cocaine problem that caused a fair amount of friction between him and Bruce. I think they're over that now, but it may explain why Clarence isnt as much in the spotlight as much as he once was.

19. timmarks

timmarks Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, D'Addario, Mesa
    garry is great--i have been around him several times and he's a really nice guy too.

20. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Lot of performers out there that wouldn't sound nearly as good as they do without guys like Gary Tallent and Kelly Looney.

Neither gets much attention around here, because they play to support songs, not to show what amazing chops they have. As a fully paid up member of the "Non-Shredder" club, I look to them for inspiration in terms of taste and tone. Especially tone! Looney gets this really deep, thick sound, almost like somebody recorded him on tape and slowed it down just a fraction.

21. Vandelay

Vandelay

I agree, I'm a big fan of Garry's playing, especially on the '75 Hammersmith Odeon live album and on the "Live In New York City" album from 2001. There is some excellent bass playing on those records.