1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Gary Moore Gravesite Travesty

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hifibass, Jan 17, 2013.

1. hifibass

hifibass Supporting Member

I NEED A "SOAP BOX"(!) but, I realize that our respected hosts won't normally allow this, but I'd like my musician friends to help me, with them, possibly correct a major wrong.

It's been almost two years now that Gary Moore died. I for one, learned more about Metal, Fusion, Blues, Celtic/Folk, and what it all means... from Gary.

Cut to the Chase..... two years on and his grave has a simple cross (like a surf 300 years ago), no headstone nor memorial, in a quaint graveyard in Bristol, UK. His website is still selling ALL things Gary Moore, but no one seems to be willing to even mark his grave with the profits.

I'd be willing to set up a Non-Profit fund, managed by a major bank (NOT ME!), to insure that this wrong is righted. February 6th is the second anniversary of Gary's death, please help fix this by next year.

If I'm wrong in my facts, please show me the results. KWS
  2. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Maybe that was his wish?
  3. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

What does Gary Moore have to do with basses?
  4. El Barbero

El Barbero

I have no doubt that some would see this as a reasonable question but personally I sincerely hope you´re trolling.:rollno:
  5. Kryptos

Kryptos

"Gary Moore left an estate worth over £2m, according to probate records"
    -Belfast Telegraph 4 April 2011

I would assume that Mr. Moore's grave marker is what he or his family deemed appropriate rather than a terrible injustice.
  6. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

This is a completely legitimate question - this is the basses forum, not the bassists (or since Gary Moore was primarily a guitarist, miscellaneous), and this probably does not belong here.
  7. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Moved to Miscellaneous.
  8. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

An estate worth that much!? If the family or his will did not specify a particular grave stone, then that's enough for me.

Personally, I would not want strangers adjusting my loved one's gravesite, even to add their personally desired improvements.

And going out on a limb... Who knows? Maybe the cross is temporary and the will did specify an order of some massive, elaborate grave stone that's taking several months/years to complete.
  9. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

You're heart is in the right place hifibass.
  10. peteybass

peteybass Supporting Member

I agree, great intentions and goodbye troller...
  11. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

Estates can also be tied up for long periods of time due to litigation. Maybe that is what's going on here.
  12. Steamtronic

Steamtronic

It's nice to see he had such an influence on you, as he did millions of others. However I agree with the other posters, his burial is a private family matter.

How about a memorial in some other form that many mor epeople can appreciate? Like
    -Petition your council (or one in a locality appropriate to Gary) to re-name a street or plaza "Parisienne Walkway" or something
    - A permanent display in a major arts centre, opera house or other civic facility
    - A plaque in the street where he was born
    - Name a bar after him
    - Write a book about him
    - Build a website about his life and music

There's a load of more meaningful and accessible ways to celebrate the life of someone you admire than sticking a more expensive rock in a field full of dead people. Graveyards are a dead end. Use some lateral thinking and Im sure you'll come up with something good.
  13. aprod

aprod

This is a family matter and not your business. I loved Gary Moore and agree a more fan friendly memorial would be appropriate but it's not our call.
  14. topo morto

topo morto

This article says it's coming. Also says it's in Saltdean (never heard of it), not Bristol.

A lot of people here in the UK don't get a memorial stone at all - there isn't the space.
  15. hifibass

hifibass Supporting Member

Thank you all. I didn't expect it to go this way but my intent was to honor a great musician and mentor. That has been accomplished and hopefully those in charge with his estate will do what they've always stated from the very beginning.

If not, I and you, because of this, know where to pay our respects should you desire.

Ken
  16. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

And what does this have to do with miscellaneous? :D
  17. Mike M.

Mike M.

Frank Zappa wanted an unmarked grave and his family honored that request.

Just sayin'...even at the end some like to keep it simple.
  18. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

That's what I was thinking!
  19. dtripoli

dtripoli

You bet he does...
    Here he is on 3 of his many albums:
    Run for Cover 1985
    Gary Moore - guitar, lead vocals (all songs), bass guitar ("Run for Cover")
    A Different Beat 1999
    Gary Moore – vocals, guitar, bass, keyboards
    Back to the Blues 2001
    Gary Moore - guitar, vocals, bass arrangement
    Not to mention Phil Lyncott played on his early album

That's 3 more hit albums than me and I firmly call myself a bassist...with a streak of guitard in me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. El Barbero

El Barbero

Perhaps a simple request to move the sub-forum would have been better.