Gary Rickman

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by joel kelsey, Jan 24, 2014.

1. joel kelsey

joel kelsey Gold Supporting Member

Gary is a great luthier in the Chicago-land area. I highly recommend checking him out. Great work. Fair prices. I don't normally like to shill for people, but I couldn't be happier with his work. Check it out!

Joel
  2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Good to know, never heard of him until now.
  3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Thanks. Sharing your positive experience is not, in and of itself, shilling. ;)
  4. joel kelsey

Eric,
    Gary is down in Homewood. PM me, and I will send you his number. His setups are by far the best that I have gotten in the city or anywhere else. He also built and installed a new bridge for a really great price. Gary studied with Chuck Traeger (sp), and does work for people like Ron Carter and Bob Hurst. It's a wonder that more people in Chicago don't go to him.

Ok... I'm doing shilling, for now......:bassist:
  5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    He may have restored (with a new top) the bass Mr. Carter is using now.
  6. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

You can't really go to someone when you don't know they exist! Never heard his name before. Sounds like he needs to get the word out!

Just looked him up and see he is primarily a violin maker. He shows two bass restorations of a John Lott and a de Salo on the site. Pretty heavy stuff...
  7. joel kelsey

Eric, I didn't mean you specifically, just bass players in general... Anyway, I took my bass to Gary last week for a set-up because I am recording my first album next week. A couple of days later a mystery buzz develops :bawl: (of course). I go back to shop and we are both perplexed. So then Gary called Chuck Traeger, and between the two of them they figured out the cause of the buzz! Crazy....

Turns out the windings of my Oliv G and D are loose around the bridge, and moving the windings around makes the buzz stop. Time for some new strings, but I should be cool for the session on Tuesday.
  8. btvio

btvio

Ive had Gary work on my violin and cello for years. Hes the best.
  9. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

I know, Joel. You're the first to mention him though and I know a lot of bass players!