1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Garz Basses??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B3L13V3R, Nov 24, 2004.

1. B3L13V3R

B3L13V3R

Anyone have a Garz Bass?? If so, please post pics and comments. Here is the site for anyone wanting to know what they are without having to google for em'.

http://www.garzguitars.com/

http://www.garzguitars.com/images/kungha2.jpg :eek:

I have emailed Mark Garza about building me a 6 and am planning on having a phone conversation with him soon. But I would like to know if anyone owns(ed) or played any.

Thanks!!
  2. PhunkyElephant

PhunkyElephant

I think Garz basses are very interesting. Among other things I've been drooling on this "Alembic-vibe" 6-string... Unfortunately I have no personal experience, since I haven't seen any of these in Europe.
    [​IMG]
  3. B3L13V3R

B3L13V3R

Yeah, that Garz MS-1 is quite a bit more $$ than the one I may order. It's a nice one though thats for sure.

I'm looking to spend about $2500, according to Marks last email he says you get ALOT for that much.

These are the body styles im considering, any comments on that are welcome as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Jazzguy

Jazzguy

To me, they look like a guitarist is trying to making basses.
  5. lyle

lyle Guest

6. sargebaker

sargebaker

Disclosures:
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    might i ask what gives you that impression?à

Some of theese look really nice!
  7. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

I came REAL close to buying this one off of ebay about a year ago. It didn't sell after being posted 3 times but I didn't have the $$$, If he had waited about 2 months longer I would have bought it in a second. I think it went for something stupidly low like $950 too... :bawl: :crying:

[​IMG]
  8. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Hi.
    This is my first post in a long time. :)
    This bass belongs to me, I'm currently selling it in certain auction website that I'm not allowed to name, anyway, I've owned Smith, Laklands, MTDs, Sadowskys, Modulus, Warwicks and a bunch more and Garz basses are up there too, my bass (MK6 singlecut) is very smooth sounding and the B string is killer, better than my Smith, I'm only selling it because I'm not used to 6 strings otherwise I'd keep it, the body balances perfectly standing or sitting, bottom line, you can't go wrong with a Garz, they're beautiful, versatile and unique custom instruments, I hope that helps.
    Danny.
  9. B3L13V3R

B3L13V3R

Hey thanks Danny!!

That does help. I am having Mark build me a singlecut very similar to a Nordstrand NSC6 :ninja: with a few fairly major changes to the actual shap of the body (although Fodera mastered it, so why change a great design?). Mark and I talked for alomst an hour on Monday I think working out the basics. I'll Post pics in this thread as it comes along. Might be a while though cause we're still picking woods.

Thanks to all who posted, this is my first thread on TalkBass.

:hyper:
  10. mark beem

mark beem Supporting Member

DAMN!!! I love that top!!!

:eek:
  11. B3L13V3R

B3L13V3R

Here are the prelim drawings for my new Garz. These are mine not his (probably obvious :p ) Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. B3L13V3R

B3L13V3R

Can someone gimme some feedback on this design (above)? Is it too much like something else out there. I mean I know there's nothing new under the sun but I would like to see what others think.

Thanks!
  13. fhodshon

fhodshon

note his join date.

f
  14. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Only Caveat I would offer is that players CANNOT re-sell them. Look at Bassgear.com and the classifieds here. The Garz basses just don't move. There's been one with a purpleheart top there forever. There was also another 4-string that was posted for MONTHS!

They might be very fine basses. They look great. Just one consideration I have as a player is - how is resale on a bass? If I'm going to pick up a bass made by someone who is not instantly recognizable and desireable by the bass community, I put weight on the fact that I will take a major bath on recouping $ if I resell.
  15. jivetkr

jivetkr

I have a 4 string currently for sale in the classifieds. Its an awesome bass. VERY well built & has excellent playability. But since I got my smith I barely play any other basses.

I think anyone would be happy with a garz & I'm not just saying that because I'm selling one. Its a very unique custom bass with great tone. Balances perfectly too. & from what I understand, the luthier has excellent customer service. (although I've never had to deal with him)

I think the re-sell issue mentioned above is mostly due to the fact that garz is less well known than other custom builders you hear of all the time on this board.
  16. B3L13V3R

B3L13V3R

Thanks for the input and that is a consideration for most busy players. However, I'm not one to sell my basses almost ever as long as it fits, sounds and plays beutiful. I have had the same Warwick for almost 10 years :eek:

I am mostly a solo player and do some studio stuff along the way as we bass players get alot of requests for gigs and studio work ;)

I am was looking for a luthier that I could literally talk to over the phone and talk about my needs and design ideas. Mark has been very helpful in all of that from chosing the right woods for all my styles of playing to making sure the string spcing is nice and wide. This is important i think for someone looking for a "truly" custom bass and custom service.

Anyone interested should give him a shout sometime.

So, no comment on the design eh? :crying:
  17. sambacanuta

sambacanuta

Here are some pics of my Garz. Mahogany body, maple top, walnut in between, pao ferro board.
    What do you guys think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. B3L13V3R

B3L13V3R

Very nice. In fact Mark sent me a pic of that Pao Ferro you are using wiht that bass. I will be using something very similar to that for my fretboard. Im pumped to get it started. Should have some prelim pics in Jan sometime.

:hyper:
  19. sambacanuta

sambacanuta

20. Rene

Rene

I wonder where Garz took that head top design
    because I design that same head top in 1988 for a customer and I am still using it. It was changed a bit but it is very close to my design.
    I wonder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    René

www.royguitars.com