1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Garz Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Solarmist, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Does anyone have experience with Gars guitars, and this bass maybe? It sure is pretty.

Cobra 5:
    [​IMG]

2. Green Mind

Green Mind

No experience with them but I really like the blue rick-ish bass by them that Kira Roessler uses.

3. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Gold Supporting Member

YES !!!
    My friend Alan has FIVE Garz basses and my GARZ STINGER II is one week from delivery. The neck is settling in, then final set up.
    Alan has two Cobras.

I met Alan through craigslist when I bought some amps from him. I asked what those basses were on the wall. I played one. My jaw literally dropped to the floor because it was the easiest bass to play.

Three days later I was on the phone with him developing my custom bass. Mark is the EASIEST guy to work with, too. I hear he also makes his own beer...

Here is my new bass -

[​IMG]

4. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Just met Mike and his beautiful new bass this weekend. Super nice guy and the bass sounded awesome. Now I've got Garz GAS!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mb94952

Thanks Dan ! Pleasure to meet you, too. You have a huge Rob Allen collection !!

I look forward to our next GEAR GEEK FEST !

7. MapleBurl

MapleBurl

Maybe it's time to start the Garz Owners Club

8. mb94952

Hi Alan ! It is you. Yes, I think it is. Ever since we drove to CLUB GARZ and had my neck molded to my liking, it is a perfect bass. I can't see playing anything else, but my Cirrus, to of course.

9. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

That is unbelievably awesome!

10. GM60466

GM60466

way too much wood for me.

11. mb94952

It only looks that way. It is actually smaller and comfier than 90% of the basses out there. It weighs in at only 8.5 lbs.

12. Josh Pelican

Josh Pelican

Never heard of 'em until now. I wouldn't mind trying out this one:
    [​IMG]

Even this guitar intrigues me:
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Just notice they have some instruments with Lightwave systems. I am now extremely interested in Garz basses.

13. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

FWIW, they've got my stamp of approval...I've personally played a couple of Garz basses over the years (I used to live in California, where Mark Garza is) and I thought they were very well made.

14. MapleBurl

MapleBurl

Ha, he's *barely* in California. Doyle is California in name, Nevada in spirit.

Here's my tribe--3 Fobras and what we call the 335.

[​IMG]

15. mb94952

Nice tribe of Garz basses, Alan !

OK - I just picked up my new GARZ bass yesterday from the beautiful, serene, UFO sighting, high desert.

It is the most beautiful, easiest to play, best sounding bass I've ever owned. Pics up later today.

I have played some of the boutique name basses that get tossed around here on TB and I must say that Mark Garza is top of the list. There is just something about his basses.

Here's my take - Let Mark get to know you. He will somehow take your personality and transfer it to wood and the bass will feel just like you imagined it would. This is the 2nd bass I had him make for me. It is miles above the first one. He knows me better now and it shows in the bass. That's all I can say.

- Mike

[​IMG]

16. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Is that the reflection of the wood on the strings? They look sorta bronz-ey
    [​IMG]

17. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass

Disclosures:
    F CLEF LLC, Music Industry Consulting and Sales
  18. mb94952

So, I've been playing my GARZ MAG 4 (the one pictured above with CIRRUS electronics and birdseye top) for about two months now.

I can honestly say it is a work of art and the nicest bass I've owned. I wasn't dis-satisfied with my last one that was a bolt on neck, but I wasn't too thrilled about it, either. I am just not a bolt on type of guy.

The neck thru is WAY beyond the bolt on as far as sustain, ease of play, and overall coolness goes. The sustain lasts longer than any Alembic I've owned, or my Cirrus's. I don't see how it sustains so long ! It is amazing ! An A power chord with new strings is the coolest thing I've heard.

I am happy I took the plunge into the custom bass world. Everything about this bass is how I ordered it (except I wish the tone knobs were angled more instead of in a straight line).

I think Mark Garza is one of the best builders out there and he can do ANYTHING you want on a bass. I love this bass more and more. I HIGHLY suggest CIRRUS electronics for their dead quietness, transparency, and features. I was honestly unhappy with the Mike Pope preamp (not because of the tone, but no matter what I did, they were noisy and hummy), and the Bartolini, as well, to some extent (again, noise). Mark said the CIRRUS electronics reminded him of the Demeter stuff, and *that* is a huge compliment. Demeter preamps are about as good as they get. To me the CIRRUS electronics almost have a built in warm, tubey/glassy, compression sound. This bass is studio ready now 24/7. That mixed with a custom GARZ bass is a winning combination, to me.

So, just checking in with my two cents...

19. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

I only just discovered Garz basses today, but man, I saw this picture and nearly ruined a pair of shorts!

[​IMG]

Irrespective of the number of strings or exotic woods, there's something about the body shape that really does it for me. Gorgeous instrument.