GAS confusion urgent HELP!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by varcingetorige, Feb 24, 2014.

1. varcingetorige

varcingetorige

Hello guys, please help me to clarify my confusion. I'm deciding to change my actual bass:

I have an excellent MIJ Fender Marcus Miller Olimpic white

PROS: excellent sound, very powerful and punchy
    CONS: jumbo frets, passive/active really similar

I'v got the chance to get a Dingwall Combustion instead, unfortunately there is NO WAY to try it out, since it's a really rare bass in Italy.

As far as I can tell... The Dingwall combustion is a really good bass

PROS: active passive electronic, versatility, clarity of sound
    CONS: 5 strings (don't really like it but I don't mind), ... made in CHINA (?????) don't whanto to sound rude, but...

I really don't know what to do, if change the electronic on the MM with a Sadowsky preamp or get the Dingwall.

I really like that snappy poppy jacoish sound of the jazz bass, can the dingwall get that bite?

Talking about genres, I absolutely play everything it comes... besides I tend to like mostly fusion, blues, funk and jazz.

Thank you all in advance and... Please help... any suggestion would be precious since I have to decide urgently :hyper:

2. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

Never give up an MIJ bass.

3. SGbassist

SGbassist

I'm a jazz bass guy so I'm all for the Marcus miller.

If what u want if versatility, I think u could do better with Marcus miller with and upgraded preamp. Maybe john east or the Aguilar stuff.

4. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Media:
    First off, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a Dingwall Combustion. They're assembled in China from Canadian & US parts, and then sent back to Canada for final setup & inspection, so made in China is a moot point.

Second, if you don't want to play a 5 string, don't. Not much worse than trying "work around" a bass you're not comfortable on.

Third, you can get more bite, punch, and clarity out of a Dingwall Combustion than you'll probably ever need. Will it sound like a jazz bass? Nope. You can get in the ballpark with some knob-twiddling, but it's not gonna sound like a Jazz bass.

I'd encourage anyone to try out a Dingwall, I'm pretty sure you'd be blown away at how awesome they are, but are you giving up the jazz bass to get the Dingwall? If you can have both, I'd tell you to go for it, but if you can only have one of them, sounds like you need to stick with the jazz. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Immigrant

Immigrant

I think your negativity about the fifth string is a more important deciding factor than where the bass is made.

Don't let the fact that it was made in China fool you. A lot of top-notch instruments are making their way from there.

7. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

Why not try some other instruments and find one that you like? It's not as if those are the only two instruments available.

8. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Media:
    I'm sorry, IMHO, the Dingwall is huge over the Fender. Hands down a better player, better feel, look, sound, tone. With that said (I am a known Fender disliker so my opinion is skewed).. I am also personally not into signature basses of any kind. Just a thing for me. I can say that millions love the MM Fender. I can also say (since I own one) that the Dingwall Combustion is a beast to play and you will not be disappointed in either bass.. Choose the Dingwall

9. Gbass75

Gbass75

To each his own... because I'd never seen a Dingwall until "Googling" it just now; and, to my eyes, that bass is... umm... how can I be diplomatic about this? ...unattractive?

Yes. Very unattractive.

But, if you go for that kind of instrument, go for it!

Disclaimer: I am a staunch Fender supporter, who also happens to feel that a bass with five strings has one too many strings. Six strings? I call that a "guitar."

10. MrTaff

MrTaff

I wouldn't buy a Dingwall without playing one first, they're great basses but they take some adjusting too and I just couldn't get used to the fanned frets.

11. Knavery

Knavery Supporting Member

Personally speaking, I wouldn't buy another instrument from China. Regardless of whether they're built well or not, it's just another thing in my house made in frickin' China.

Keep your Marcus Miller. The Japanese ones are very well built.

12. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Media:
    You are perfectly correct. It is a matter of personal choice. That is why I was attempting to be a little sarcastic in my response. If you can't play it (same in my case) you either buy it on looks or get something else. They are fantastic basses. I love mine. No transition time to get the hang of the frets at all, but I have been playing for 35 years, so I can adapt easily. Again, just my opinion and also I am a self proclaimed Fender signature hater. :p

13. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

+1, that seems like a big leap to go to the fanned frets without trying it in person.

14. pbass6811

Media:
    Not really. The first time I ever played a Dingwall was the day it arrived at my house after I bought it. It took me a grand total of about 25 seconds to get used to, which was the amount of time it took to take it out of the box, sit down, and play some lick I've probably played a billion times. After that, I bought another one ;):D. If you can't play a fanned fret bass it's because;

A. You got it in your head that you weren't gonna be able to play it, so you couldn't.

Or.

B. You didn't really try.

I still have one "regular" fretted 5 that I play on a regular basis and I can go back and forth from it to my Dingwalls with no problems.

OP, all you're going to end up getting in this thread now is "Fenders rule, Dingwalls suck" or "Dingwalls rule, Fenders suck". That's not really gonna help you. Assess YOUR needs and figure out what is gonna work for what YOU do. I'm a Dingwall guy and I'm telling you that with your comment about 5 strings, you should probably stick with the Jazz Bass.

15. MrTaff

MrTaff

Or

C. Fanned frets aren't for everybody.

16. varcingetorige

varcingetorige

Guys you're amazing thank you soooo much for your opinion and help.

Yep I'm pretty happy of my MM and I was thinking to upgrade it. I'v a P bass also and I was really confusued with this opportunity.

I used to play 5 strings (lakland), just feel more confortable about 4 strings they're more than enough most of the time, but since I'd like have more versatility I was thinking back 5. Fanned frets do not really scare me, I guess you get used to it.

Unfortunately, as I said, it is barely impossible for me to try out a dingwall. It is true you do not see them much and I wonder why...

I also thought to switch to an american deluxe rather than a dingwall... basically I would like to go a step above the MM, of course I should likley think "a step above" in technique ;) but you know how GAS is.

Still really confused anyway everything would have been much easier if I could have tried out one... but still, I would need a "Super J" active/passive fusion soul instrument... if I could just go... Sadowsky...

17. varcingetorige

varcingetorige

of course... unfortunately cannot keep both, one of the two must go.

18. pbass6811

Media:
    They may not be for everybody, but anyone can play them if they try...;)

19. bassbenj

bassbenj

This is really bad because both is really the answer here. These two basses are QUITE different and both in your stable would be a killer arsenal.

I considered getting a chinese Dingwall a while back and didn't get it. I do have a bit of regret over that decision, but I'll tell you why. No it wasn't that it was made in China. I've got a room full of SX and they are all excellent even if you don't take into consideration what they cost.

Nope, the "con" that killed it for me, was strings. Because of the fanned frets your string choice is pretty much limited (or at least it was then, I haven't looked lately). Strings for normal 6 string basses mean you have to buy online and fanned fret limits you to just a couple things.

So that is something to consider especially if you don't have the other bass to give you more choices in tone.

20. Gbass75

Gbass75

Totally... I know a fella who plays a Dingwall and LOVES IT!!!

...just not my cup o' tea.

;-)

21. Gbass75

Gbass75

Totally... I know a fella who plays a Dingwall and LOVES IT!!!

...just not my cup o' tea.

;-)