GAS is stupid

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassist4Eris, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

OK, OK, I'm guilty of it too. Just check my profile if you don't believe me. I have eight basses. Eight! Why? Well, in my originals band (my only gigging band) I switch between a 6-string bass and an 8-string (octave courses) bass. OK, so those are two different animals. I also do a weekly "just for fun" covers jam at my brother's, and I occasionally do fill-in gigs. For either of these purposes, I like to have an old-school bass. I have a 4-string P-bass for such occasions.

So, I've justified three of my basses. And they get played. The rest mainly get stored in a closet. And yet, I still have GAS.

Why? Psychology, plain and simple. We are up against an industry that thrives on the semi-pro and the weekend warrior. We're told that if we just buy this bass, or this pedal, or this amp, we'll finally get that inspiration we've been looking for, or that perfect tone, or whatever. Even when they do an interview in one of those GC catalogs, it always comes down to the "inspiration" that the artist gets from, uh, buying gear. :rollno:

Actually, it seems to work for a while. We get that new piece of gear, and we write a few good riffs, or we feel more inclined to practice... for awhile. But soon, that "rush" is gone, and exactly like an alcoholic or a gambling addict we are back looking for that good feeling we had last time we opened a new box to pull out some new panacea.

I'm sure many of you will argue that you need all those different basses, amps, and pedals in order to get the variety of tones you "need". I invite you to take a gander at the gear you already have. Chances are, every piece of it has several little barrel-shaped thingies sticking out from it. The technical name for these thingies is "knobs". Try turning them sometime; you may be surprised. :smug:

Look, I get it: it's your money, and you can spend it how you want. I'm just asking you to consider the possibility that you and I might be suckers, obediently opening our wallets every time some shiny new trinket is passed before our eyes. It's a quixotic quest, doomed to failure. Every hour we spend drooling over new gear is another hour we could have spent in the woodshed, where it might have actually done our tone some good. Don't all the greats say "it's in the fingers?" :meh:

The original idea for this thread was "the TB anti-GAS pledge", and I was going to pledge to not buy any gear for one year. But just proofreading this gives me the desire to go check out a music store or two. (With that part about "that good feeling we had last time we opened a new box", I gave myself a painful longing for that very feeling. :help:)

We joke about it on TB, but it's a serious psychological addiction we'd all be wise to face head on.

/intervention ;)

2. tmdazed

tmdazed

naw I see it this way , I make money and as long as I have food on my family's table, roof over their heads and bills paid, I am free to spend my money in any way I see fit! some guys its motor cycles, some classic cars , some instruments and gear, some drink their money away, some its a combination of all or some, I prefer to get gear, I use it , gig quite a bit with it , if I need money I sell off stuff that means nothing or very little to me , if I see something I want and if someone wants a trade for it , I often have trade bait. Smart wheeling and dealing and trading has brought me some good gear and as far as selling I never lose money on it (IE the peavey 4x10 I just sold , bought for $200 5 years ago , great shape , played and rehearsed and gigged extensively with it, sold $325 plus the guy traded me a Yammaha attitude with it to sweeten the deal , you tell me who got the better of the deal , my initial asking price was 375)

AdamR likes this.
  3. williamk

williamk

damn...I shoudn't have read your post, I was about to go buy a 1660$ bass today...now I feel ashamed...

SirMjac28 likes this.
  4. tmdazed

tmdazed

Don't man , you want it , go and get it, if it aint going to throw you into poverty , why not

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. spade2you

spade2you

Step 1: stop caring what other people think.
    Step 2: be happy

lfmn16, AdamR and Kustom_Thunder like this.
  7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Not that I was looking for someone's permission, or a free therapy session, but thanks just the same.

Case closed. ;)

8. cronker

cronker

+infinity.

This.
    My GAS is in my fingers, my soul.
    It's why they are called INSTRUMENTS.
    The basses you desire are only playing to your head, not your heart.

Play like you want to express what you hear in your head.
    The woodwork doesn't matter.

9. Machiavelli

Machiavelli

Desiring Less

But, there is more to life than happiness, =)

melikecookies likes this.
  10. ZenG

ZenG

It's the same with fishing.

Except it's not called GAS, it's called being a "tackle whore".

I sportfish on the saltchuck.

Every year a new "killer" lure comes out. And I just have to have it.

Never mind about last year's "killer".....that 's old hat.

I've got about 100 spoons in the basement that I'll never use.

Ditto for flashers and vinyl lures called "hoochies".

There are about 5 to 10 lures that catch fish all the time and are proven every year. If I only used those I'd do just fine.

But no....a tackle addict cannot pass a tackle shop without buying the so-called "latest greatist".

Spent a lot of money on fish gear I'll never use.

That's why I only have one bass guitar. I spent my bass "GAS" money on fishing stuff.

11. Papersen

Papersen Gold Supporting Member

Agree 100%
    And last you realize it makes no sense at all.

12. SteveC

SteveC

I am as guilty as the next guy. I swap and seek endlessly. I have tried to be better and currently have 2 great basses - a 5 and 6 string Roscoe. I would like a fretless, but am trying to stick to just 2 basses. I could get by with one, but I can "justify" a fretless.

Right now, I am trying to decide which fretted I should keep, and then get a fretless to match.

It is about not caring what others think and being happy playing what you want - as many or as few as you want.

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I just like a lot of "stuff"

lfmn16 likes this.
  14. Swerve

Swerve

I've had many basses over the years but never more than 2-3 at a time and I'm currently down to one. I guess you could call me the anti-hoarder. The less stuff I have the better I feel I can concentrate on what I already have. That goes for musical equipment or anything else.

But I'm not in any position to tell anyone what they can or can't do, I just know that I like keeping things as simple as possible. To each their own.

15. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

GAS is stupid. I am stupid sometimes. I have GAS sometimes. No problems.

16. jay tay

jay tay

Media:
    Albums:
    My name is James, and I have 7 bass guitars at the moment, I will probably get more soon. I can't help my self...

I have in the past missed meals because of the new Bass I just bought, but I'd like to think that those days are behind me...

I don't play them all regularly, but they are all very different, I have a fretted P-bass, and a fretless P-bass, a US Fender Urge, a five string Aria Pro ii fretless, an electro acoustic Bass guitar, and fretted and fretless six string basses.

I have fantasies of having a vast collection, of examples of every historically relevant bass in my music loving world, and mounting them on the walls of my home.

I'd have Rickenbackers in the front room, and Jazz Basses in the dining room, the kitchen would house a Music Man Stable, (I don't even like Rics or MMs but they have been played on some great records) and the Halls would be lined with Warwicks. In the bed room I'd have my P-Bass collection, and behind Glass cases in the bathroom there would be a range instruments designed by Ned Steinberger, ect.

My habits have been rained in since getting married in 2012, and I haven't bought a bass I couldn't afford since 2008, but the cravings never die, the gas never sleeps, I sometimes catch myself trawling through ebay at 3 in the morning, without realising I'm doing it. and I once even found a bid on an 80's Jazz Bass on my account that I couldn't remember placing.

I understand it's a disease, and I try to fight it every day, not just for me, but for my family...

But the dream, the dream is so damn beautiful!!!

17. williamk

williamk

oups..! I went and got it anyways hahaha! now I'm poor...

AngryPig1 likes this.
  18. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

+1
    for some, it isn't just a hobby; its an addiction
    in some cases, it isn't even about guitars or music-like a gambler, it's about the action.
    I like a few nice things but at the end of the day, you only have so many hours to play and make music or do anything in life-a lot is wasted chasing deals that really don't improve your life.

19. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

I've noticed I like having a money sink more than I actually like using every single piece of gear I buy. I get to save up and invest into something cool. For someone like me and many other players here, playing bass is what defined our lives and got it to where it is today, directly or indirectly, so of course we want to keep it fresh with cool new basses/amps/pedals.

Just like every other hobby on the planet, people who enjoy it spend money on it. I don't think there's anything wrong with it whatsoever. Bills are paid, food is in the fridge, and I'm getting a Warwick tomorrow.

20. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I'd add that purchasing gear, if one does it semi-intelligently, is different from money spent on interests like golf (green fees), skiing, travel, etc., in that your gear remains assets that are convertible to cash. That doesn't mean those interests aren't valid, just that we can get our money back out of the source of our enjoyment.

somegeezer likes this.
  21. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Absolutely. I made enough money playing my bass last year to pay for a cheap bass. I spent a whole lot more a few years ago racing a motorcycle with absolutely no hope of ever making a dime. Bass playing is cheaper, plus you might make a little even if you are strictly an amateur. And, if you fall off a bass, you don't slide as far and the repairs are cheaper.

miles'tone and R Upsomegrub like this.