GAS money

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Spent, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

I was having a conversation yesterday with a good friend who happens to be an excellent guitarist. We were discussing gear and he told me he was selling some stuff and he was thinking of getting rid of a guitar he doesn't play any more. After all, he has two others. When I told him that I have at least 15 basses his jaw dropped. Well, there are four strings, five strings, acoustics, fretless, etc. I explained that he can get a wide array of sounds from effects, but many bass players rely more on technique and different types of basses (I didn't want to get into the whole amp thing). Then I had an epiphany; there are like 100 guitarist for every bass player out there, yet many bass manufacturers flourish. I then realized that it's because so many of us have a number of basses. To extend this, GAS is not a bad thing, it's our obligation to support the many fine bass luthiers out there. Spend your GAS money wisely, an entire industry is counting on you. I'm proud of my GAS and you should be too!
  2. ZenG

ZenG

Scientists have predicted that by the year 2018

the number of bass guitars on the planet will be such that
    if they were distributed to the population worldwide there would be four per person...........not counting Squiers....which would make it 8 per person......

Kidding.......... Cheers
  3. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Nothing helps me pull the trigger on an instrument like the realization that I am helping the economy by buying it. :)
  4. Basshappi

Basshappi

Rationalization is fun! :D
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fluid Power

Fluid Power

So, GAS is GOOD??
    It makes me feel so bad.

Kidding! It keeps me going!!!!!:D
  7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I still need to hack my pig P copy to get the action acceptable. Damn it has some righteous P tone. Haven't gigged it in 15 years. The silly thing is I could have got a scratched 72 P in "salmon" for another $200 that would be worth 2 or 3k now and the rest of the stable may never have appeared.
  8. huckleberry1

huckleberry1 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    student
    Got G.A.S.?
  9. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

That's the spirit! Together, we can make this a better world for bass luthiers children.
  10. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

to me you only need 3 basses :
    A fretless
    A fretted
    An acoustic or semihollow

everything else is just a variation of the same thing. Some pickup may help you acheive a specific tone caracteristic but I'm convinced that you can acheive the same tone no matter the bass throught proper EQ and sometimes effects.

Same with amp, some amp may be easier for you to dial the tone you are seeking but in the end, any amp will do the job if you know what you are doing.
  11. Gundecker

Gundecker

Clef, you had to spoil the fun...
    You failed to factor in variables such as brand loyalty, emotional connections, looks, feel etc.
    As for rationalizing to relieve GAS? Drug addicts have nothing on musicians.Musicians who aren't drug addicts that is....
    Chew on that for a bit.
  12. crobasster

crobasster

Have plenty of basses,but also guitars.I have them for fun of playing and satisfaction,don't give a damn about industry.:p
  13. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I don't think it's special to bassists. I'm in two cover bands at the moment, one 50s-60s and one more current. The oldies band guitarist has an electric and an acoustic and just bought a backup electric, that's it. But the current band guitarist has a closet stuffed with guitars - Like, a Nigel Tufnel collection, there's got to be 20 or 30 in there. Some guitarists I know just have one or two, others a dozen.

I try not to acquire basses just to acquire basses, but there's a modest stable -

A go-to all-around four-string (Carvin SB4000):
    An active five-string with rounds (John Toon custom) for modern rock:
    A passive five-string with flats (Yamaha BB415) which has become the main instrument for the oldies band:
    And an ABG (Washburn AB10) that I use for church and for open-mic type things.

The only gap I'm really feeling now is for a fretless. I may pick up a cheap starter bass used off CL and learn to defret it, or I may wind up selling the Washburn ABG for a fretless MK Dragonfly (used to have one) and kill two birds with one stone that way.
  14. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    GAS it makes the world go around, the world go around, the world go around ... :)
  15. Ratbut

Ratbut Supporting Member

I keep telling my wife, "I can't afford not to buy it"
  16. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

I just see that as consumerism for the sake of it. GAS is no different than drug addict ... well the way I see it on this website.

All you enumerate are just excuses to buy more stuff because you want more stuff.

In my case I have 3 Carvins and a Yamaha 5 strings which have a big sentimental value. The 3 Carvins cover what I said : fretted, fretless and semihollow. I choose 6, 6 and 4 strings because this is what I wanted.
  17. AudioClown

AudioClown

My GAS isn't so much on basses as it is effects pedals right now, but I am already rationing for 2-3 new basses this year.
  18. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

G.A.S. is definitely only an issue with bassists.

I currently own 7 drum sets, 23 snare drums (down from the 34 that I used to own), and over 80 cymbals. With drummers snare drums and cymbals can get a bit nuts. I have vintage Radio Kings, Black Beauties, a COB Dynasonic, solid maple DW and Noble and Cooley snares and a host of others. In cymbals I have complete setups of Zildjian "A"s, "K"s, K Customs and Constantinoples, Full setups of Sabian AXX and HXX, full setups of Paiste Signatures and 2002s as well as a full setup of Bosphorus Traditionals.

No, G.A.S. is not a bassist only phenomena.