GAS Prob: Toying with replacing my Azola EUB with a Veillette

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matthewbrown, Jan 25, 2014.

1. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

I am becoming more and more interested in the Veillette Archtop fretless. I bought a custom 5-string Azola Acoustic Baby Bass a while back, but find I don't really play it much for fun anymore, and only occasionally get called for upright gigs (it's not a "real" upright, and it's a double for me, really, a "triple"). I mainly play jazz in small groups. I've been playing fretless 4-strings for decades, the Azola for about 8 years.

Both the Azola and the Veillette are niche basses, both are/were quite expensive at about $4000.00.

I suppose it's a nice problem to have, but I do wonder about A)whether I'll be limiting myself and B)the market for both basses...:meh:

2. Rich Kurtz

Rich Kurtz

are you still in the market for a Veillette Archtop?

3. matthewbrown

Yes, but only a fretless 4-string. :)

4. MD

MD

Archtop 4 string fretless for small group jazz? Consider having a look at the Takamine B/TB10.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. matthewbrown

I've looked at the Takamine B10 - a beautiful instrument -- but it has a radius fingerboard, doesn't it? I don't bow, really, so no need, and I find I prefer a flat fingerboard.

7. MD

MD

FB is very much like a DB, one of the things I really dig about the B10. For me, it feels right for jazz. That and the tone.

8. matthewbrown

I guess sometimes it comes down to what you like, doesn't it? "De gustibus non disputandum."

9. MD

MD

^^^

Yeah it does.
    I watched the Veillette video. Nice looking bass, but the tone did nothing for me; but if it works for you, cool.

10. Rosebud

Rosebud Previously sbassface Supporting Member

to me the key word in your original post was "fun". Upright is becoming a chore for me so I've decided to go back to what gave me so much joy before music school took over (personal experience, I know), Electric. If I was playing jazz in small groups I'd totally go for the fretless 4 string Veillette. I have never played one but if those were my options I know I'd be happier with a seriously well made acoustic/electric.

11. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    I'd vote Veillette, but I'm obviously biased as I have four Martin Keith basses, and Martin builds for Veillette. All of my basses are special, but the chambered koa fretless with piezos and Citron humbuckers is just out of this world.

[​IMG]

12. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

If you're looking for an upright type tone, have you considered a Rob Allen?

13. matthewbrown

smperry, those are beautiful instruments. Martin has been very helpful in guiding my decision. Leon, I have considered the Rob Allen, but I think the Veillette will better suit my needs, because of the flexibility of the electronics. I also like the ergonomic aspect -- the V is small and well-balanced, in contrast to the Godin A4 I play now. I did finally put in the order for the Veillette. Now I must wait ...and wait...and wait..:)