1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

[GAS syndrome] Ray 34 vs PBass ?:(

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by M4verick, Dec 14, 2013.

1. M4verick

M4verick

So here I am - my guitar acquisition syndrome has just kicked in and I badly need a companion to my MIM Fender Jazz Bass.

I love my Jazz but I also want something with more "kick" (I have "discovered" Iron Maiden again after like 10 years).

I know everything about the Pbass - I love the simplicity, reliability and It's still probably the most popular bass on the planet.

I also love the looks and power tone of MM (haven't played it, cause it's not available in my city, I heard a lot of Yt videos) but I'm not convinced to active electronics. I need some clarification on a few thesis:

- preamp might create hiss (?)
    - the active electronics might malfunction more easily then the passive one (?)
    - The passive guitar + sansamp preamp might still be a better"combo"
    - are the MM pickup passive or active ?
    - the battery sucks ;P (jk but I dont like batteries)

Overall I think I like Ray34 better when it comes to sound and looks, but I think Pbass might be more reliable and would complete my Jazz Bass better.

Could you advise me something ?

2. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

Guitar Acquisition Syndrome Syndrome?
    OT: They're very different basses. The Ray34 is active and as such is probably more versatile, but you won't get the same sound from them. It's up to you though.

3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Might I make an alternate suggestion?

If you're comfortable with a Jazz neck and body, how about a Blacktop Jazz? The dual Precision pickups create a fantastically aggressive sound that some refer to as a "Jazz on steroids". And if you want a pretty-darn-close-if-not-spot-on Precision sound, you just roll off the bridge pickup.

A fellow TB'er, audiomitch, made a recording of his while playing with a pick.
    https://app.box.com/s/0giiip2y1612vfjh9dix

I will freely admit I am quite biased towards the Blacktop. That's only because of how surprisingly excellent mine turned out to be. And at $500 brand-new, it's a lotta bass for your buck!

4. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

Blacktop is a good suggestion, the sub4 is a pretty awesome little bass too. No hiss, tons of lowend and great tone.

Try some you tube clips of each for references

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. M4verick

M4verick

Thanks for all the answers.

Wow those Blacktop Fenders looks amazing, why didn't I thought about them ?

I like the look of the passive one - is my thinking correct that it should resemble MM tone more then the Jazz Blacktop ?

I think somethng with a little more *oomps* would complement my Jazz standard better.

7. Down_Low

Down_Low

- preamp might create hiss (?) - No, it wont
    - the active electronics might malfunction more easily then the passive one (?) - Never had a problem with active electronics
    - The passive guitar + sansamp preamp might still be a better"combo" - Personal opinion
    - are the MM pickup passive or active ? - Passive pickup, active pre amp
    - the battery sucks ;P (jk but I dont like batteries) - one battery will last months. Really not a big deal.

8. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Being active is definitely no reason to avoid a Ray. You should always have a backup, anyway, even if your main bass is passive.

If I wanted a P, I would get a used G&L SB-2.

If I wanted a StingRay, I would get an EBMM Sterling H.

9. Geri O

Geri O

I own a 5-string Ray and a Jazz, but I like the idea of the Blacktop Jazz, under your circumstances.

You really need to someway somehow get your hands on both (or those two and a Precision) and try them for yourself.

Me? I'd further screw up my retirement funds and get BOTH...:oops:))

Geri O

10. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    The Ray has been around for a while and is an iconic bass for a reason. You can't go wrong with either of your choices. Played 8 years in a band with a super loud drummer and 2 guitars. The Ray was the answer to that situation hands down.