1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

GAS TH350, Mesa WA, Micro VR, what to test drive next

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bobicidal, Nov 12, 2013.

1. bobicidal

bobicidal Supporting Member

Hello friends,

I have a little money to play with so I am trying popular small, light(ish) amps. So far I got GK MB200, Ampeg Micro VR, and Mesa WalkAbout with a Aguilar TH350 on the way. What else should I try for around $500 on the used market?

Cabs i have now are CN212 and Ampeg AV210. Might not keep either of these long term as something in between the two as far as weight and size would be nice.

Never owned a Genz Benz or MarkBass (two names I picked off the top of my head).

I could probably lose the MB200 as that is my least fav of the group, and the Micro VR might be next as I like it's grit but it maybe isn't clean enough for me when cranked. I need to try it at rehearsal with the CN212 as I've only tried it with the Av210 and it didn't quite keep up and stay clean, if you know what I mean. That said if I pointed up at me or got it in the air it might be OK. But that may not be practical in our small space.

I am pretty happy with the Walkabout especially with a compressor in front, though after two rehearsals were cancelled I've only played it in my living room. Even if it rocks, still a *little* bulky and heavy and I wonder if I need something that heavy (can you tell I am hoping the TH350 kicks its butt?).

That's all I got for now and wife is calling. More later.

Sound I am going for is Geddy Lee-ish :bassist:

Suggestions?

Thanks
  2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

The walkabout is heavy? I think mine weighed about 15lbs. I'll take tone over a few lbs any day. Personally the TH350 didn't have enough high end for me. If you're going for Geddy I'd stick to the Ampeg, WA, or get a sansamp to put in front of your amp.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Instead of the Micro VR, try the PF350. Same preamp but has 150 more watts and stays cleaner louder.
  4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

I once had a Walkabout. Loved it, only sold it for downpayment on the wife's SUV. Wish I hadn't. 13 lbs IIRC.

I bought a Micro VR on a whim since I wanted a small home practice amp that had a headphone jack. I paid $100 bucks for it from a craigslist deal. I use it nearly every night for home practicing.
  5. bobicidal

I sure like the size of the PF350 and should put it in my list. FYI, I had not tried the AV210 with anything other than the Micro VR until I got the WalkAbout (didn't even want to plug in the M9 Carbine to this little thing) and I was surprised some of the grit actually came from the cab and not just the head. Is that your experience? And are you saying the AV210 can hang with the PF350 or were you suggesting this for the CN212?

Thanks
  6. bobicidal

Micro VR is awesome and loud practice amp. And I love that the audio input is stereo for your headphones. IIRC, the GK converts it to mono.
  7. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

Maybe put a GB Shuttle 6.0/6.2 on that list. Some of them are being blown out for ridiculous prices right now. Actually, add a Streamliner to the list too.
  8. bobicidal

Ah yes. I still need to understand the Shuttle vs Streamliner differences
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You don't want to push the PF350 to its limits with the 210av, but as long as your trigger finger is always hooked up to your common sense indicator, it'll be fine. As for where the grit comes from, when you start pushing the 210av, it'll get gritty, but if you don't, it sounds pretty clean to me.
  10. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Just don't try the TH-350 first, otherwise the other amps won't have a chance ;)

I think you should add a Genz to the test pool IMO, either a 6.2 or 9.2 shuttle...
  11. bobicidal

I tried to use the Micro VR on the CN212 tonight and I immediately knew it wouldn't be up to the task if the guitarist got too loud and he did. I had the Walkabout cranked up with master and gain at noon with a heavy bass cut and a little treble rolled off and it handled it pretty well. I was asked to turn down so yeah, it was enough! I didn't have time to dial in a perfect tone but it got pretty close. Funny thing about this head I don't know if it because it has so many controls but I have a hard time getting just the right sound while I can turn on the Micro VR and with everything at noon it is great, add some bass and midrange and it gets even better. Will start looking for the 6.2 shuttle. Thanks
  12. bobicidal

PH350 on its way, but already thinking i should have gone for the 500 as a better match to the CN212. It and the TH350 should arrive next week. Hoping for love in a small package. I said the Prodigy was too much money and too heavy but I could sell all of these for one, LOL.
  13. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

One other lightweight I was impressed with is the TC Electronics RH750. A fellow TB'er sent two of them to me to hang onto (at different times), so I used 'em while they were here. Sounded great, and plenty of volume with my -loud- band.
  14. Alex1984

Alex1984

Streamliner and SVT 7 Pro.
  15. bobicidal

Hmmm, Whoa, I like that. Outside what i wanted to spend and more power than I need for a single CN212, considering the TH350 is all that cab really needs, IMO. I wonder if the RH450 is only missing comp. OK, i am GASing for one now. Thanks a lot! ;)
  16. bobicidal

After reading some of the threads which say your amp should be rated for half of your cab, I don't know how or why people use anything bigger than a TH350 watt head with the CN212 which is rated at 700 watts at 4 ohms. OK, I could see a 500 giving a little more clean headroom, but these amps don't exactly break up as they have SS power sections. Also the PF350 is also ready to tear this cab apart if I was to dig in. I have to say the TH is going down my list. It just feels a bit cold. The battle is currently between the PF350 vs the Walkabout.
  17. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

The rh450 has the same compressor the rh750 has..... its available under a different digital menu (shift button). The 750 came after feedback on the 450 suggested people wanted a seprate knob for the compressor without having to shift modes. Research the TC amps before you dive in.... they have a strange wattage rating system and power management thing going on that some people freak out about.
    I think loud is loud is loud and I don't care how an amp gets there if it still sounds good when it does. Besides.... I THINK the fact that since TECHNICALLY the Rh750 is actually only THERMALLY 240watts, this COULD mean you could have 750w perceived volume from your 212 without worrying about blowing your speakers.
  18. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

[​IMG]
  19. TC5

TC5

I tried a Walkabout Scout 12 combo in store recently and found the same thing. The bottom end was big but seemed hard to control and a bit loose or unfocused. (Could have the been the room I was in which was not ideal). The EQ looks like it offers a lot of options but it seemed harder than necessary to get things right (starting with everything flat). This was using a Fender Jazz deluxe with flat wounds.

Usually if I can't get a good result pretty quick it's usually a sign that the tool is not quite right for what I'm after.
  20. bobicidal

I have a love hate with the Walkabout but at the moment I like it as I'm slowly figuring it out, just like any other amp: Start with everything at noon except master then back off what I half too much with on the parametric, then turn up the master to suit. If you don't have time to play with the parametric that's what the dedicated bass, mid, treble knobs are for, a quick adjust. It's not as simple as the PF350 for sure but I'm not finding the TH350 any easier to dial in than the Walkabout. That said my guitarist did love the sound of the TH350 at last rehearsal. It cut the mix pretty well. Solo, I like the Ampeg sound the best so far. A week without rehearsals to give it another go with the band. :(