Gauge help...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by slipknotmaggot3, Feb 23, 2014.

1. slipknotmaggot3

slipknotmaggot3

I recently bought a De Rosa Violin bass for traveling as my Thunderbird is a bit big for traveling out of state with, and I went to put a set of Ernie Ball Regular slinkies on it and they didn't fit. From what I gather, several Hofner clones don't take certain gauges of strings so my question is, what is the best to use with a bass like this? As for the type of string, I already know the whole flatwound vs. roundwound debate I just need to know what gauges, thanks! :help:
  2. hotbass57

hotbass57

I have a hofner clone. I have medium scale XL chromes they fit perfect. Get med. scale not short they won't fit fit on the violin basses.
  3. slipknotmaggot3

slipknotmaggot3

What Gauges do you use though?
  4. gary m

gary m

I use 32" medium scale Pyramids gauged 40, 60, 80, 100. The low E is where size is critical...most tailpieces won't accept larger than a 100 gauge.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. slipknotmaggot3

slipknotmaggot3

Thanks! I got Ernie Ball's in those gauges and they fit like a charm, my tailpiece allowed a 105 gauge in it, but the tuner posts wouldn't accept it. No matter, the lower gauges fit like a charm.
  7. gary m

gary m

Glad to hear it!
  8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

A bit of research on TB will make it clear that because of the bridge design, ALL violin basses like the Hofner take strings one size longer than the scale length.

In fact, almost all basses with a floating bridge and separate tailpiece take longer strings than the scale length.

To confirm, take a tape measure and check the distance from the nut to the actual string anchor point on the tailpiece. Do not measure to the bridge. The result is your string length. Not all of them will tape out neatly at either 30" or 32", as some tailpieces aren't very far from the bridge.

Last night I replaced the strings on this early 70's Univox 30" scale bass. The strings installed were MID-scale, or 32". Note that the anchor point on the tailpiece is about 2" past the bridge.

[​IMG]