1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

GB Shuttlemax 12.0 vs 12.2

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by thumpmaster, Jan 8, 2014.

1. thumpmaster

thumpmaster

Several members have emailed me about the differences in the shuttlemax 12.2 and 12.0 heads, so here is a VERY brief video A/Bing the two rigs.

[​IMG]

2. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Pretty cool. Thanks.

How far do you have to tweak the 12.0 to get close to the 12.2? Or is it not even close?
  3. thumpmaster

thumpmaster

I would say that it is not even close. The 12.2 just seems so much more efficient with better definition. I have been using the 12.0 since it first came out, and NEVER found anything that I liked as much......................until the 12.2 :bassist::bassist::bassist:
  4. dpbass66

dpbass66 Supporting Member

Hey... I am looking for some 12.2 expertise..... I recently just acquired one through the classifieds here. I have only had the oppty to use it on one gig. My set-up is one amp driving a 4 ohm 2x10 and the other amp driving an 8 ohm 1x12. I was alarmed when I had to crank the gain AND volume to 12-1 oclock position......my bass was cranked....18v active preamps/batteries good..... I know every amp is calibrated differently with respect to the linearity of the response of controls, but at this setting I was not getting the volume I expected, meaning I would think I'd have blown the doors off the club I was in...... Do the 12.2's have an odd response like that? Are there known issues with these things behaving like this with volume and such?
  5. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Shouldn't be the case. I run a 4 ohm / 8 ohm pairing and my 12.0 cranks it. Might want to PM Agedhorse.
  6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

To the OP. One of the minor changes on the 12.2 is that the gain of the tube channel is set a bit hotter for better overdrive capability (from a discussion with Andy a while back). Very minor differences, but with the gain knob in the same positions, you would get a bit more volume out of the 12.2.

Sounds great though, and that increase in preamp sensitivity at the first gain stage comes through on the clip. This is a good example of how you can't assume that setting the knobs identically on two amps (even two similar amps) results in an 'apple to apple' comparison. Nice head for sure!
  7. dpbass66

OK, thanks. I'll PM Agedhorse....I assume he is a GB dude of some sort.

I hate when "something not quite right here" with my equipment!!

ARGH!!
  8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Sorry about that. I was commenting on the OP's interpreting the hotter output of the 12.2 as suggesting it is louder and has more clarity than the 12. That is due to the gain being a bit hotter on the 12.2 (per a discussion I had a while back with Andy from Genz). The amps sound very similar in my comparisons, even though you can't set the gain to the same position for an apple to apples comparison.

Your situation is normal. The Genz amps use more audiotaper pots on the gain and master. So, you need to twist the knobs a bit more. Also, active basses are in no way 'hotter' than passive basses as a rule. So, an initial setting of 'noon and noon' on the gain and second stage volume is about typical for a moderate output bass if you want a clean tone. Don't be afraid to crank that initial gain stage a bit. You can't do any harm. If it sounds good, it sounds good!:bassist:
  9. dpbass66

Thanks!!! Appreciate that......
  10. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Nice video, side question, do the ShuttleMAX 6.2, 9.2 and 12.2 amps have the same front end?

I'm thinking about picking one up and it seems like it's just the power sections which are different.
  11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I don't think there is a Shuttlemax 6.2. The Max 6 was discontinued when the Max 12.2 and Shuttles were updated.

The front end of the Max 9.2 and 12.2 are the same. Primary reason for the 12.2 is if you have a 2ohm situation.

Regarding the '.2' updates, the impact IMO on the Shuttle 9 and Max 12 was 'positive but subtle. The Max 9.2 was always the '9.2'. The major change was on the Shuttle 6 to the 6.2. The hi passing was lowered and the 6.2 now sounds like a lower powered 9.2., versus the totally different tonality of the Shuttle 6. IMO and IME!
  12. dpbass66

I didnt think that bridging the 12.2 would get you down to 2 ohm..... I thought the best it could do was accommodate 2 - 4ohm cabinets, separately, through each power amp section.....

??????
  13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Correct. Using 2 power amps, each running at 4ohms is the functional equivalent of having '2ohm capability (i.e., powering two 4ohm cabs). The 12.2 cannot be bridged to power a single 4ohm cab.

So, basically, if you have a 4ohm cab or two 8ohm cabs, the Max 9.2 makes the most sense. If you have two 4ohms cabs or a 4ohm cab and an 8ohm cab (basically, the need to run a 2ohm or 2.6 combined impedance), having a dual mono amp like the 12.2 is a very nice way of doing this:)
  14. dpbass66

OK, whew.... just wanted to make sure I understood that.
    Thanks........
  15. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

My bad, the website I'd been looking at buying from had the Shuttle 6.2 listed alongside the ShuttleMAX's !

Cheers for the info!