1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

GC experience and question about Preciscion necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ash Jazz, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Ash Jazz

Ash Jazz

Hello,

I picked up an American Standard Preciscion I had on layaway at GC yesterday.

I had played it in the store but you know what that can be like: You really can't concentrate on what you're doing when you have a guy trying hard to blow the speaker out of a bass amp to your left, a guy right behind you demonstrating how not to play guitar and doing it very loudly, and three salesmen knife fighting over the opportunity to sell you something like sharks smelling blood somehow they seem to know you have money in your wallet. The guy I actually wanted to buy it from, who spent some time with me and had bought stuff from before, got shafted out of the sale because the sales manager had handed me a cord and said that made me "his" customer. I hate that cr@p.

Anyway I came in and paid it off. I thought it was strange it took the samesman nearly thirty minutes getting my bass. That made me a little suspiscious, and irritatted. Every now and again I would see him and he would say something like; "Just looking for the case..." I suppose they could just be super disorganised.

So he pulls the bass out and sticks a wrench in the neck slot and adjusts it in a very quick and unscientific way. Maybe thats normal. I've never seen anybody do that before. I could be mistaken but that just didn't strike me as right. Maybe in reality it was an example of good customer service and I'm misreading it. I don't know.

By the time I was ready to go a rediculous amount of time had passed, I was beat and just wanted to get out of there. So I take the bass and go home. I open the case and find it has been damaged. It had been dropped or something and actually has some of the paint knocked off the back.

I got a good price on it but I bought it as new and nothing was ever said to me about damage. So now I need to return it today and after all that I'm a little apprehensive about what is going to happen.

I'm considering calling corporate and complaining before bringing it back.

So thats the GC experience part.

I had the opportunity to play it a little in the peace and solitude of my home. In the store the string spacing between the Preciscion and the Jazz just seemed to be inconsequential but playing at home the feel really is significantly different. I have been playing a jazz bass for years and am used to the neck.

I recently figured out the solo section to Lemon Song and there are numerous licks were I would normaly use one finger across two or more strings. I found this to be ackward with the wider string spacing. I was wondering, for those who are long time Preciscion players, do you just get used to it or do you modify your technique for the instrument?

Thanks!

2. gregmon79

gregmon79 Effectheadaholic Supporting Member

That really stinks you had a bad experience like that at a GC. It sounds fishy to me as well. I wont say that all GC stores and or employees are incompetent and have no idea what theyre doing, but there seems to be quite a few IME out there. Aside from saying that, I would most def take action on this. As far as calling cooperate offices before going back in or speaking to a manager at that location Im not sure what I would do. I would probably call the manager of the store you bought it from first, give them a chance to right the situation, and if they dont or their service is unsatisfactory after you have gone back for the problem, then call cooperate. Thats me.

As far as the spacing on a P, me, I just adjust my technique. My main gigger is an Ibanez ATK 300 and the spacing on that is quite a bit wider than a P even. But I just adjust. I have a P, p/j and the ATK and they all play differently but I love them all for different reasons, mainly the way they sound and play. I just get used to the way each one plays. Variety is good. Hope you get your issue worked out to a good end. I would be livid if I was you. Thats bogus from what it sounds like.

3. johnson79

johnson79

Return it and look elsewhere. I've never bought from Sweetwater, but I've heard a lot of praise for them on here.

I'm frankly sick of going to GC. It's such a cluster. Sadly it's the only shop in town.

4. Ash Jazz

Ash Jazz

Hey, thanks Greg, Johnson.

I have bought from Sweetwater, and been to a couple gear fests. They are an exceptional company. I still like going in and playing an instrument though.

And thanks for the perspective Greg, I really appreciate it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. elBandito

elBandito

You had enough time to walk out on the deal. You should have inspected the bass before paying and walking out the door. You can always return the bass. Relax, It's not the end of the world.

7. fabubass

fabubass

I don't know if all Sam Ash's are the same, but the one in Coconut Creek, Fla. is Awesome
    Guitars are perfectly set up. Always great experience there.

8. MrTaff

MrTaff

Unfortunately I can't see this ending well, from GC's point of view it's going to look like you took the bass home, dropped it & now want a refund.

9. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Sam Ash has a horrible reputation here on TB for the most part. I really prefer smaller Mom & Pop type stores but with a strong history. Sadly many have fallen by the wayside. More and more it is important to become your own Guitar Tech. Learn how to do it all yourself. Take a knowledgeable friend with you to inspect any future basses you buy.
    I hate to say it but it's better to buy from the Online stores because you are the first one to open the box. That way no GC Monkey has tried to eff it all up on you.

10. atticpenny

atticpenny

Personally, I'd return it while you can. GC has a pretty good return policy, IIRC.
    As for the P vs J "feel" thing, I've always preferred J necks. I used to just "adjust" when playing a P (or just avoided owning P-basses), but then the Lakland Duck Dunn was released, which is basically a P-bass body/pickup, with a J-bass neck. Solved my problem.

11. MattyH

MattyH

The Sam Ash here on Long Island is phenomenal. Great selection, great staff, and their basses and guitars are always cleaned and tuned up. Not to mention they have almost every bass effects pedal under the sun, and all the newest bass models.

The GC here is right up the block, so I find myself there cause its close and I know people. But there has been an Am Standard P Bass on the wall for (no joke) 4 years, missing both knobs. It's getting to the point where I'm feeling sorry for it.

When it comes to GC, their selection and quality control has gone down the toilet. The staff doesn't seem interested at all, and things are damaged constantly. I go there to test, but never to buy. BUT, you should be just fine. I think they have a 30 day return policy. If they give you a hard time about the damage, make a fuss. I see people making a fuss in there all the time. They just want to turn over customers as fast as possible.

12. MattyH

MattyH

I too prefer J necks. But I also despise the P tone. If you're a Jazz player but you'd like to have the different tones of the P bass, but still want that thinner neck, definitely check out the Lakland Duck Dunn. Its amazing, and comfortable. And not a bad looking bass either. Also well within your price range.

13. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
  14. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

Take it back asap, Sam Ash is better than GC but sweetwater is better than both of them, If you really want that p-bass sound but the j-bass neck, get a jazz bass neck, lots of them litter around craigslist. Or get a mark hoppus p-bass lol.

15. Wallygator

Wallygator

You will get used to the string spacing, I am actually going through the opposite, I am a P guy and up until recently I have been playing one of three P's. Wanting a change I swapped one for a Blacktop Jazz. I was amazed at the difference and I am still getting used to the thinner neck. It's coming along though. Cheers!

16. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I had the same problem with my '66 P. I just could not get used to the string spacing because of the wider nut. I have no problem switching between 4 and 5 string (where the 4s are 1.5" nut) because the string spacing is generally the same or very close. But, going from a 1.5" 4 to at 1.75" 4 just didn't work for me. That was a big reason why I sold my '66 P.

Now, for my P bass arsenal, I have a G&L SB-2, with a 1.5" nut, and a MIA Peavey Fury, also a 1.5" nut. No more wide neck 4 stringers for me!

17. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

Every time I've gone to GC, I've had a bad customer service experience. Every. Single. Time.

18. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

You can always put a Jazz Bridge on a P-Bass and get the strings closer together. It also gets the strings farther away from the edge of the fretboard which is nice. Then cut a new nut to Jazz Spec and boom Jazz Feel on a nicer, chunkier, beefier neck that stays in tune better and is less likely to Twist up.:)

19. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

True. But why would I? After having a really good '66 P and the SB-2 at the same time, I have found that I prefer the sound of the SB-2. I added a Tone control, so it will faithfully reproduce every sound the '66 P could make, plus many more options.

I posted a poll with sound clips a while back and more people picked the SB-2 clip as being the "real P bass" than picked the '66!

Oh, and I personally have never had any trouble with any neck staying in tune or twisting up. I'm definitely not worried about that happening with a G&L. Or even a MIA Peavey. MIA G&Ls and Peaveys are super high quality basses, period. I've had numerous MIA Fenders (and one MIJ) and they have gone, while the G&Ls, EBMMs, and Peaveys have stayed.

20. Ash Jazz

Ash Jazz

Thank you for the responses.

I definitely learned a lesson regarding looking the bass over! That much is definitely my own fault.

I drafted an email to corporate so that the events would be outlined and on record should I run into a problem. I suspect they wil replace the bass or refund my money without too much hassle. It just kind of sucks.

I also appreciate the suggestions on the P bass. If they just hand me another bass I will adjust to it. If I get a refund I will look into that Lakland or the Mark Hoppus. To be perfectly honest the thing that tipped the scale towards the P was I had played a jazz for so long I thought a change would be nice.

21. Dakotah

Dakotah

Our Sam Ash and GC (Clearwater FL) are both good stores. GC when first opened was full of sharks and I stayed away til they got rid of em. Now they let you do your thing and help when you need them.Always liked S A and they go out of their way (especially Lex) to get you what you want and to give you a break $ wise.If they don't have it ,they will ship it free to your house too.