GC extended warranty

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bccbass, Jan 4, 2014.

1. bccbass

bccbass

I recently purchased a used amp (Markbass) from GC. They offer a 1 yr. $40 and 2 yr. $72 extended warranty (all cost included). My past experience (not with GC) with extended warranties is that they are not worth the paper they are written on. Has anyone had any experience with GC (good or bad) with their extended warranty (used equipment). I have a 30 day return option and 30 days to decide on the warranty. Any experience with this out there? Thanks!
  2. Blankandson

Blankandson

MF gives you the return option for free. Many good companies already have you covered for 1 to 2 years. GK has (I believe) 1-year for parts and labor and 2-years electronics. That's already included with your purchase. Check first with Marakbass to see if you are already covered. If not, that price may be good or not. I can't say as I never get the extended warranty.
  3. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

4. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

This is a used amp, so I think GC only warranties it for 30 days. Depending on what you paid, it could at least give you piece of mind for a small cost.
  7. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

It's a ripoff, the GC will say okay and just ship it to the manufacturer. Which YOU could have done for FREE because all new items have WARRANTIES.

EDIT: didn't notice you said used, on used items it's not a ripoff if its only 40$
  8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

There are transferable warranties offered by manufacturers but I don't see where this applies in your situation. Caveat emptor: you and GC are dealing with used equipment and essentially an unknown. The gear may look good but neither party has any way of knowing whether the unit was abused, dropped, tampered with, etc. What is the return policy? If generous (i.e 30 days), I would play the snot out of the thing in the hope that any defects would disclose themselves quickly.

What exactly does the extended warranty cover: repairs, replacement w/ same component if beyond repair?

Riis
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Extended warranties are legalized gambling, nothing more, and the number one rule of gambling is "the house always wins." Sometimes they pay off, most of the time they don't.
  10. bccbass

bccbass

Just for clarity : this is a USED amp purchased from GC with a 30 day return policy.

Over the phone he (assistant mgr.) offered the 1 or 2 year warrenty. He said covered shipping as well. He called it their extended warrenty. Plus Guitar Center emailed me the offer. I'll read it to see what exactly it covers. I was just hoping someone else could share their experience with this. Again, I purchased a USED item. Thanks.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Same rules apply. Used gear can work forever or it can break tomorrow, just like new gear.
  12. pfox14

pfox14

I opted for the extended warranty when I bought a used amp from GC. It gives me some peace of mind. Only cost me $20
  13. bccbass

bccbass

Jimmy, that's been about everyone experience in the market place. My brother purchased a digital camera from Best with the 3 year extended warrenty. When the display started going out, one store said it was because he pressed too hard on the screen, another said it had been exposed to "dust/dirt" and neither store would do anything about it! And he had the original paperwork where he purchased it new. I dealt with Sweetwater on a church keyboard that went bad and it was a great experience...they even upgraded the model for free with the new keyboard! And called to check on it! Just wondering on GC. I didn't expect them to offer a warranty beyond the 30 day return policy.
  14. bccbass

bccbass

Best Buy^
  15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

I never buy extended warranties. If I had bought one for anything I own, I would have never needed to use it, never. It's a rip-off.
    You're gambling that your purchase will tear up. I'm gambling that mine won't. So far, I have won every time.
    Take that money from all the extended warranties one would buy and save it for if you ever need to repair something, you'll probably come out ahead.
  16. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have a friend who works in the insurance industry. He told me that extended warranties a big waste of money but a great profit center for companies which sell them. Another friend who is a national sales manager in the cell phone industry told me the same thing about 10 years ago. Most experts will tell you to never buy an extended warranty.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sweetwater is an awesome store, no doubt about it.
  18. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If you paid for the purchase with a credit card, many of them add one year to the existing warranty. Saved my bacon once. :)