1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Gear Crossroads

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ggvicviper, Aug 13, 2013.

1. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

So guys, I want to either reduce my gear or save a little more for my wedding. I could use a little help again - too much GAS for the past two years. I own 6 basses right now:

#1 - Fender American Standard Precision Bass V. My favorite instrument. It's in Candy Cola, plays like a dream, sounds killer.

#2 - Fender American Standard Precision Bass V. Exactly the same instrument as #1. Bought it because I loved the 1st so much.

#3 - Fender Standard Precision Bass. An MIM factory special run in Chrome White Pearl, it was picked out by myself and my fiancee in that color. Sounds and plays killer, can't sell it for sentimental value ever.

#4 - Fender Precision Bass Fretless. A 1978 piece, this was the sibling of what Sting played in the Police in natural/maple. It's actually currently for sale.

#5 - G&L L5000. This is an older one (1989, and a pretty rare model), currently having the neck worked on to treat bowing. Loud, with vintage frets in Sunburst. Sickle headstock.

#6 - G&L L5000. This one is a 1992 in Cherryburst. Love it, no issues. Standard G&L headstock.

I would like to get rid of one or two of these items. The fretless P is up for sale because its not quite my thing, but I am having doubts. I'm also considering letting go of the sickle L5000 when it comes back, but I'm not sure. I've also been told that having two P5s is silly.

The past two years I've bought and sold more basses than I've ever owned before - partially due to some personal success, partially due to TB. I would like to know what TB thinks, since you are so wise. I'm only looking for opinions before I make decisions, so please no "do whatever you want" or "make up your own mind, don't bother us" types of posts please.
  2. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

The obvious choice seems to be to sell the one of the twin P 5's. The MIM has sentimental value, the fretless is on the way out, the G&L is rare, and you love the other one with no issues. So either whichever P5 you love slightly less, or the rare G&L with issues, in my humble opinion.
  3. ggvicviper

Just to add - both G&Ls are rare. The L5000 is a rare model in general.
  4. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

My vote is for whichever sells for more, one of the P5's or the G&L with issues. Weddings ain't cheap, especially in our fair city.
  5. LordRyan

LordRyan

Wait. Shouldn't the bride's parents pay for the wedding?
  6. ddhm

ddhm Supporting Member

Lose one P V and the fretless. Seems like the obvious choice for you. The fretless is already on the block and you have 2 P Vs.
  7. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

I say sell #2 for sure and #4 or #5.
  8. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

Sell the second P5, and get married at Ciy Hall. You can wear shorts.

:bag:
  9. ggvicviper

Yeah, fair. Or some other word starting with F...