1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Gear Financing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Duuuuuuuuuude, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

2. pflash4001

pflash4001

I did the 6 month installment plan with AMS when I got my mixer a few years ago. That was the only reason I bought there instead of Sweetwater, but I think they offer it now.
  3. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

So it worked out okay for you?
  4. pkazzo

pkazzo Supporting Member

I do it all the time, makes big purchases painless. Just don't forget to make a payment... you won't be happy then.
  5. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

High interrest?
  6. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

You get slammed if you miss payments all that interest comes due
  7. Grant_MM

Grant_MM

I have used the ams plans for the past 10 years or so. When they say no interest its true. That is the only online store I use.
  8. BryanM

BryanM Supporting Member

I use AMS and Zzounds' payment plans all the time. Nowadays they'll typicall schedule auto-drafts of the payment but I've found they've even been flexible if it falls away from payday a bit. There's usually a $25 fee or something for rescheduling a payment but I've had them waive it on two separate occasions for adjusting the payment by a few days.
  9. pflash4001

pflash4001

If its a payment plan there's no interest, just a service fee of $10 or so
  10. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Things have changed I remember way back when if you went a day past that 18 months you got slammed for all of the accumulated interest and they weren't flexible at all.
  11. ma4rk

ma4rk

The idea with these things is the shop acts an agent for a fianance company - so your pretty much getting yourself into a personal loan. The finance company is hoping that you don't pay it off within the set time period & can start charging you interest at a VERY HIGH RATE. There are some companies that make a profit off late fees instead of charging interest. So it's all good if you know you can pay it off within the set period.
  12. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

Yeah, it sounds pretty good if you're responsible. Like if something goes on sale and you don't have the cash on hand right then.
  13. ma4rk

ma4rk

Yes responsibility is key. Another option is a credit card - they might have interest free periods of up to 3 months on purchases - but a credit card can be too handy :rollno:

As a former debt collector on credit cards & loans for an a-hole bank, I cannot stress this enough: SAVE UP & PAY CASH!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:
  14. IPA

IPA

Get a credit card with a credit union, use it to buy whatever. Pay it off on time.
  15. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Tried to do it with Guitar Center several years ago. They had a promotion where if you used your GC credit card, there were no payments and no interest for 18 months. I started receiving bills immediately. When I called to ask why, I was told that the sales clerk entered the wrong promo code and it was too late to change it. I paid it off and closed the account.
  16. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

I've never experienced any of the problems recounted in this thread. Perhaps that's because I always pay cash; if I can't afford to pay cash, I don't buy.
  17. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Well aren't you special!! :D
  18. tmdazed

tmdazed

yeah i am in the pay it as you go crowd, if you can afford it , buy it if not , do without or rent until you can , you owe no one ANYTHING at the end of it all
  19. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Use them all the time, they are wonderful promotions. Just don't get stupid with spending, and pay it off on time.

I've used MF in the past with no problems, but my last few orders have been from Sweetwater, they are doing 24 months 0 interest, but there is a minimum payment.