Gear maintenance- speaker tweaking

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lax4bags, Feb 25, 2014.

1. lax4bags

lax4bags Gold Supporting Member

I took my Hartke Hydrive apart and tightened the screws on around the speaker and was shocked how loose they were. I just gigged it Saturday night and before I did this the grill was rattling. It sounds noticeably better than before. How often do you take a screwdriver to your cabs?

2. Grissle

Grissle

First thing I do with any gear I get is apply a little "BLUE" LocTite to any applicable spots. It's cheap and easy insurance.

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Seasonal changes can cause wood to expand and contract, much like doors or windows in a house or the neck on your bass. This can result in loose screws. So it doesn't hurt to check things once a season. It depends on what the climate is like and how it changes where you live.

It is important that speakers be tightened down so that there is an even pressure applied to the speaker frame. Tighten the screws (or nuts, depending on the construction) in a cross or star pattern. Like tightening a drum head. It is also important not to over tighten. This can warp the speaker frame. Some guidelines are provided here.

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

Don't forget to change the voice coil oil regularly, especially if you gig often or crank up the volume a lot.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

I hardly ever change the voice oil.

7. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

That's your problem right there! Gotta keep 'er lubed.
    or she'll burn up she will...

fnord!

8. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Synthetic voice coil oil has a harsh tone. Pennsylvania-grade voice coil oil has a much smoother midrange, but less authority and veiled highs.