1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Gearing up for first build!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jonesn4bass, Feb 21, 2014.

1. jonesn4bass

jonesn4bass

Hi guys -

I've been stalking the luthier's corner for a long time and the work you all do has been truly inspirational! I decided a while back that I wanted to attempt one for myself and have been slowly acquiring tools and whatnot to get going on that.

I am midway through building a copy carver (I took the winter off for ski season, and because my machine shop is COLD, so I'll be finishing that up in the coming months), and I've started picking up some tools, fret wire, etc. etc.

My dream bass goal is a 5 string precision, satin swamp ash, maple board, with delano hybrids. My main question right now is: how to achieve a smooth, grain filled, satin finish? Please see photo for what I'm going for.

Any input would be great! I'll be updating this thread when the machine comes together and I'm ready to start tackling the project!

Thanks in advance for the inspiration and guidance!

Cheers,
    Nick

[​IMG]