1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Geddy & Chris

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Fourstringsonly, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Fourstringsonly

Fourstringsonly

I always wanted to know how Geddy And Chris got that amazing sound out of the Rick... I had one when I was 17,,but I could never get that sounds out of it. I heard Chris played out of guitar amps...anyone know for sure how its acheived?

2. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Christopher Russell Edward Squire plays his Ric (and most of his other basses) in stereo, with one pick up going into his Ampeg SVT and the other pick up going into a Marshall Super Bass.

3. Fourstringsonly

Fourstringsonly

Is the Marshall a bass amp?

4. 4001

STEREO!
    With that you can dial in specific tones you wouldn't be able to do with everything going to just one amp.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SactoBass

Yes, although just like Fender Bassmans, guitarists use them too.

7. Fourstringsonly

Fourstringsonly

Do you know specifically what Geddy used live?

8. SactoBass

Geddy's rigs have varied over the years. You might try doing a Google search for "Geddy Lee gear" (or equipment) and see what you can find.

Same with Squire.

Google is your friend! ;)

9. 4001

Geddy's best sounding rig (IMHO) was the one he used from 1978-1983. It was two Ashley SC-40 preamps into two BGW 750C power amps into two 2X15 cabs. But keep in mind his signal went to the board from those preamps, so the cabs were just for the stage.

I get pretty nice results using my two GK 700RB II amps and I run those into two Mesa PH 212's.

10. Fourstringsonly

Fourstringsonly

Were those the Sunn Cabinets>?

11. Mike M.

Mike M.

Way back in the day (around 'Close to the Edge') Squire use to play live thru a Sunn Coliseum Lead head going into a Sunn 6X12 cabinet.

I read an interview with him around that time and he said for recording he liked to use a Vox AC30, but never said exactly what tracks he used it on. Love the tones he gets on thier version of 'America.'

Couldn't tell you anything about Geddy's amp setups.

12. 4001

He was using the Sunn cabs before that.

This is straight from the Moving Pictures tourbook:
    "two 2 x 15 Thiele-design cabinets fitted with EVM speakers, two V4B Ampeg cabinets with JBL speakers"

The tourbook says BGW 750B power amps but they were actually the 750C models because the ones he had in his rack did not have the VU meters on the face and those were the 750C models.
    [​IMG]