1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Geddy Lee Jazz a fake?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jsonic77, Dec 28, 2012.

1. jsonic77

jsonic77

I'm looking at picking up a used Geddy Lee Jazz Bass from a strange fella who has provided me with the serial #B010XXX

Can't find it in any lookup sites and it seems fishy.

Thoughts?

Otherwise, any suggestions on the best place to buy a used Geddy or other Jazz for a fair price?

Thanks!

2. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

3. Warhawk

Warhawk

Sounds like a G&L bass serial number. Perhaps this strange person thinks the "G&L" on the headstock thinks it means "Geddy Lee". :eek:

4. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

I think Warhawk's right, and it sounds like a fairly low serial number, from the early to mid-80's. Also, Musicman used the same serial number system in the '70's, though there's no reason someone would confuse a Stingray with GL Jazz......

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

The Fender Japan serial numbers started over alphabetically the year the Geddy basses were introduced, with a CIJ prefix instead of a MIJ prefix. A B-999999 bass would be a second year GL, from 1998-99.

Here's a MIJ/CIJ dating site link - http://www.guitarsjapan.com/fenderchart.html