Geddy Lee Jazz Bass Mod Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Don41_2, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Don41_2

Don41_2 Supporting Member

I've really bonded with my GL bass and decided to make it my main bass. I would like to modify the body to add a notch at the neck to allow for adjusting the truss rod without loosing the neck from the body. I'm looking for tips on how to make that notch in very clean, professional manner. The easiest way seems to be a dremmel bit, but wanted to get some other thoughts.

Also, after making the notch, what is best way to add color over that small section of bare wood. Note: I will reuse the GL pick guard to hide most of the notch, so this isn't that big of a deal.

There may be a thread on this, if so feel free to point me to it. Thx.
  2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Unless you are skilled with the dremel a good rat tail file is going to be the way to go for neatness. If the truss rod on your bass has an allen head, get a ball end wrench and you won't have to make the slot as big.

If it was mine I'd slot both the body and PG.

As for touch up, a detail brush or Q tip should do it.
  3. klaus486

klaus486

Disclosures:
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    As a quick and dirty solution to this same issue on a beater bass I just used a Sharpie to color in the notch. The bass had a black pickguard. And yes I used a Dremmel. Worked out well....of course I've since removed the pickguard! Still looks fine...

Attached Files:

4. lavmonga

lavmonga Supporting Member

+1 Dremel sanding bit and a Sharpie, I've done it on a few basses, blends in well!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. stanley00

stanley00

A piece of sandpaper wrapped around a pencil and a black paint pen worked for me.
  7. 4001

Dremel tool. Go nice and easy. Practice on some scrap wood to get the feel for the Dremel. You could use some Testors Black enamel model paint (comes in a small jar) on the bare wood instead of a Sharpie if you want it more shiny. Let it dry overnight.
  8. Don41_2

Really helpful, thx TB

Nice job Klaus486 and thx for the pic. it will be a useful guide.
  9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

good mod (i did it to my vintage reissue tele), and i think you can use the truss rod nut from an american standard bass, which takes a 3/16" hex wrench.

with that, you can make a smaller notch in the body and pickguard, and either use the ball-end T-handle wrench fender supplies, or (what i greatly prefer) take a regular 3/16" allen key and chop off the short end just past the bend; done right, it'll slip into the truss rod nut and give positive torque with plenty of leverage and no risk of stripping like the ball-end types can.
  10. DigitalMan

DigitalMan

Dremel does the trick. Remember to create a long bevel when you do the pickguard or you'll be doing it twice.
  11. Don41_2

Thx for the tip. In my case I've decided to leave the pg as is to hide the notch. It will look original that way. Also, I don't mind pulling the pg to adjust the neck since the neck has been very stable - adjustments are a rare occurrence. It's the thought of unbolting the neck for a necessary (tho occasional) adjustment that I don't like.