1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Geddy Lee Jazz Bass Production

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by farewelltosings, Jun 26, 2013.

1. farewelltosings

farewelltosings

Hey, can anybody tell me when the production of the Geddy Lee Bass was shifted from Japan to Mexico?

2. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

I can't tell you when but I can tell you the MIJ's are overrated. These are not the same Japanese basses of yester-year. I'm not sayin they suck. I'm just sayin they aint worth what they cahrge for 'em.

I have not had my hands on a MIM version but i would imagine the same quality. If they are charging the same price i would hope the MIM's are better.
  3. farewelltosings

farewelltosings

I agree. You can't really beat Japanese built products, in terms of anything.:bassist:
  4. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

So the GL aside, when does "yesteryear" end and the lower Japanese quality begin. The reason I ask is because I am very seriously considering a Japanese bass. Sorry to the OP for a side track. I hope it doesn't take away from your thread.
  5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Funny....I have owned mij basses from the 90's through to 2010. I have always found the quality to be very good...
  6. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

All im saying is that for the price i expected a lot more from a MIJ fender when it cost as much as a geddy lee does.
  7. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

Haven't they been going for $899 at most places? That's $300 or so less than a US model, and $100 less than when they were MIJ.

Most of the MIJ and Fender Japan models rival or exceed MIA models IMO.

And they moved production about a year and a half to two years ago. Maybe more. There were a bunch of threads here about it back then.

Welcome to TB!
  8. 4001

My GL Jazz is "Crafted in Japan", it's an early one from 1998 and I couldn't be happier with it.
  9. hsech

hsech I may be old, but I still have an opinion. Gold Supporting Member

Me thinks not!
  10. REV

REV Supporting Member

I have 2 Geddy Lee basses one is "Crafted in Japan" and the other is "Made in Japan" . Both are excellent instruments.
  11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I think it was around 2011, it was after the tsunami.

Why? You really think there is a difference?
  12. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Me knows not.
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Me Munjibunga. Me have MIJ Mustang. It have very nice quality.
  14. Immigrant

Hence the "IMO". Opinions aren't wrong, but can be disagreed with easily. I seem to remember a thread or two about a MIA teurd showing up and having to be returned. Teurds happen regardless of origin.

And yes, I still think occasionally a CIJ/MIJ Fender can be just as good as a MIA. It's my opinion and I'll stick with it no matter how misinformed I am.
  15. Baird6869

That doesn't count. It is kinda a mini/girly bass.:p:D
  16. hsech

hsech I may be old, but I still have an opinion. Gold Supporting Member

My disagreement comes when painting country of manufacture with a broad brush.
  17. Baird6869

Not misinformed and everyone has an opinion. There are turd MIA Fenders and other high end American basses.

I would argue than most people that played 10 MIA and 10 CIJ Fenders would generally prefer the fit, finish, playability and tone of the MIAs.
  18. Immigrant

I'll give you that. ;)
  19. Immigrant

Not broad at all. It's my opinion that the GL I had was every bit as nice as the MIA P I have now. I'd still have it but I was very new to bass at the time and had to discover that the J neck isn't for me.