1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Geddy Lee Jazz Bass Truss Rod

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by J03YW, Jan 1, 2014.

1. J03YW

J03YW

Received it for christmas, which was awesome. Was sitting in box for a long time so it was accustomed to the environment here. I took it out on christmas day and played it, then on the day after I adjusted the truss rod to lower the action a bit (a cautious 1/8 turn). Two days later I go in, change strings, and tighten it another 1/4 turn, and that was okay but still too relieved for me, and today I took the pickguard off AGAIN (I feel like I'm wearing out the poor holes) and got in there and gave it another 1/4 turn and now it's immediately where I want it. Should I let back like 1/16 or 1/8th of a turn so that when it settles in it's not too low? Any tips for the future? I'm pretty new to this and I'm trying to be cautious but the Jazz Bass isn't playing nice.

2. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    If you have it where you like it now, leave well enough alone. The next move is only if the bass (neck) forces you to do so.

3. J03YW

J03YW

That's what I thought. I adjusted the rod, tuned & played it and might have let out an audible "dayum" at how nice this bass is with the strings that low, then went back and turned the screw back 1/8 turn so it'd settle nicely, then I realized that I didn't really know what to expect so I posted here. I guess I'll update tomorrow morning if it spaghettifies again (which apparently the GL is notorious for?)

4. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

Jazz necks that adjust at the neck heel are usually not to bad to "keep going" after an adjustment, especially when tightening the rod to flatten the neck. Not saying it won't happen, but it's not too likely. I've seen a couple Squier necks that adjusted at the headstock that were horrible about moving beyond the desired adjustment for both tightening and loosening. I'd leave yours where it is and play it a few days to see what happens.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pfox14

pfox14

You should not use the truss rod to adjust action. The TR is designed to straighten the neck or provide some relief, not to adjust action. Adjusting action should be done by raising or lowering the saddles on the bridge and/or the nut slots. There's not reason to touch the TR unless the neck is bowed and needs to be straighter.