1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Geddy Lee Jazz MIM vs MIJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Seba_H5001, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Seba_H5001

Seba_H5001

Yup, another thread of the same subject. I'm in the way of getting a Geddy, but the MIM thing scares me a little :D
    Is there a real problem with them? What I understand is that mainly they have some fixable things, like sharp fret ends, bad setup. Are they really worse quality? Also I would get the black finish so I don't really care about the sunburst finish, but it's really that bad?
    Anyway I will be taking it to a luthier, so is there a really non fixable probem?
    Also in my country no one carries this model and little Fenders in general, so I can't try it :/
    Thanks!
  2. Mossmatic

Mossmatic Compulsive Modder Supporting Member

I haven't heard about any problems with the MIM GL vs. the CIJ GL, but I think if they're gonna be made in Mexico, they should drop the price... But I doubt that's going to happen... At any rate, I don't think there should be any difference in quality, if they make it to the same specs as the CIJ.
  3. Tmw2011

Tmw2011

They did drop the price on them by $100...
  4. mike phillips

mike phillips

that's all? my cij is flawless. neck gloss is like a mirror and the finish on the body looks miles deep. its 10 years old and no problems...ever.
  5. rodl2005

rodl2005

MIM GL owner here. Great bass. No quality issues whatsoever. I've played both CIJ & MIM & haven't seen any differences myself.
  6. rootsnfifths

rootsnfifths Supporting Member

CIJ owner here. My neck had sharp fret ends when I got it.
    It is fixable. It is one of my favorite necks of all time though. It's glossy look is quite amazing. Like a piece of art.

That said, I have tried some MIM Geddys and they are hit or miss in quality. But that is Fender for you. I just think with Fender Japan, you get better consistancy in the quality control area so your chances of getting a "lemon" is slimmer.
  7. Laurie Bass

Laurie Bass

In the manufacturing process everything is made to tolerances. Some things are fitted together at either end of the tolerance scale..one thing is a little small fitting in something that is a little big. With the market and the economy the way it is now companies can not afford to make "bad " products..do nothing about it and expect to stay in business.
    Fender would not take a well known bass (Geddy Lee) and entrust it to another plant,,in another country (Mexico) to make said instrument unless the managers were sure,,very sure that the new plant can make the guitar to the same specs,,and same quality results that the previous plant did in Japan. Fender would not cut their own throat to screw up this bass..that would be suicide. I have a MIM Geddy Lee and it is the best bass I have ever played hands down. It has no issues at all,,neck is flawless,,sounds great..looks great....love it.
    Sure there are hit and miss things out there..when I ordered my Geddy I made sure that the dealer (Mom/Pop) would replace it if I was not happy with the bass when it arrived. Talk to you Fender dealer about your concerns
  8. Blackcloud6

Blackcloud6

My local GC has used MIJ one for about $750. Is it worth it?
  9. Bongolation

Bongolation

No.
  10. Bongolation

Bongolation

That's completely untrue.

Logical, but just not the case -- if for no other reason than 90% of buyers have no meaningful grasp of instrument build quality to begin with.

FMIC is in such dire straits financially at the moment that this is the least of their worries, but they made this move for one reason alone and that was to increase the profit margin on their most popular MIJ model.

At the time contracting to Dyna-Gakki was costing them more than they were wanting to pay due to a fluctuation in exchange rate, which really spiked right at the end of 2011 (it's back down now), so they moved production to Ensenada because it was a lot cheaper. Presumably they told them to crank up the QC a bit and hoped for the best. :meh:
  11. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I played a Deluxe P-Bass with a Geddy Lee neck, P+J pickups and a Badass bass bridge the other day at GC and fell in love with the neck and BIG TONE. I may head back with two basses to trade in for it...
  12. fusionbassed

fusionbassed

I ended up ordering a Geddy Lee MIM and picking it up at GC, but those are specially made PJs for GC by Fender - I was impressed with the quality of the two I played. Probably should've gotten one of those instead! :)
  13. RobinG

RobinG

I played a CIJ GL for 3 years. I was in a Rush Tribute Band, and it was a pretty awesome Bass! I later found a '72 4001, so the Geddy ended up being traded off for a Stingray. The Stingray was soon sold, and I started looking for another GL.
    I picked up a slightly used MIM Geddy this weekend. I did not know they had moved production to Mexico, so I was a bit hesitant at first, but here are my initial observations. The Bass I purchased had been modified with DiMarzio PU's. I very much dislike the DiMarzios. Luckily I have the original PU's to put back in the Bass :)
    The MIM is a little heavier, but not by much. I think the string spacing is not quite as radical from nut to bridge on the MIM. The necks are pretty close, and neither one of them had any fret overhang. The Pots in the MIM seem cheaper, and the "binding" on the side of the fretboard is a little wider (fatter) on the MIM. I still need to set the MIM up to where it feels good for me, but it's a pretty durn good place to start!
    Robin
  14. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

I have a mij geddy that is modified, but i must say that it had a nicer neck and tighter neck pocket then my 2008 mia jazz bass. the mij stuff is great and sad ti hear they moved them to mexico. Mexico has the talent i'm sure, but will they get the time to use it (time is money).mij tend to hold value better as well. Then again a great bass is a great bass regardless of were it's mafe.
  15. RobinG

RobinG

I have a '62 MIJ PBass re-iss that's about 20 years old now. Even though I know how to do a pretty good setup on my instruments, I could never get it to play in tune above the 10th fret or so. When 15 years of Roto's had made their mark on the frets, I took it to a pro for a level and dress. I mentioned that to him, he looked the bass over and noticed the neck pocket was off center! That got fixed as well, and it was suggested that I go to flat wounds because the the Maple neck and frets won't take another redress. PBass with flats, I'm OK with that ;)
  16. dirtbeard

dirtbeard

Robin, I hope your enjoying the geddy and i didnt mess it up too much for you. Sorry you dont like the dimarzios.

Mike
  17. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

MIM Fenders are great. I have had a dozen or so and all were a great bang for the buck. I think MIJ Fenders will hold a higher resale value for many many years to come. I wouldn't hesitate to buy MIM especially if it was to keep and play. The QC is Spot on.
  18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Not if you live within North America. You can get a new one for a tad bit more.
  19. IPA

IPA

The newer top-of-the-line MIMs-- Geddy, Roadworn etc are excellent. I'd put them up against MIJ any day. Fender Mexico stepped up QC and fit/finish, it's all there IMO.
  20. Blackcloud6

Blackcloud6

Thanks, yes, you are right. I later checked GC's prices and realized that a new one is only about $100 more. So the used one is not much of a deal.