1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Geddy Lee JAZZ upgrade advice?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jimg5512, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Jimg5512

Jimg5512

Hey everyone,

Need some help... I am upgrading my Jazz bass with an Audere on board pre-amp and need to get some help/suggestions on pups. I am leaning towards the DiMarzio DP-123's due to the fact that they are stacked/hum cancelling pups and because I play mostly heavy rock live... I have tried SD QTR pounders and they are very noisy at any setting other than both PUPS on equally.

I have shielded everything with copper tape and just need to pull the trigger... looking for any help or input... thanks!

2. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy Supporting Member

A great combination indeed....You may even find that just adding the pickups will be sufficient enough to improve the tone of your bass (while cancelling the hum).

3. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    Before nordstrand marketed their own preamps, they sold their basses with their pickups and the audere pre. So would I guess the Nordys would work in your Geddy Lee as well. have you considered a Bass Mods pre? They are like $60.00 cheaper and I've read good reviews. something like a BEQ12.

4. Jimg5512

Jimg5512

Thanks, I have not looked at any BEQ12 because I already own the Audere... I am just looking for some help in determining a set of replacement pups for my GL Jazz... again, I had a set of 1/4 Semor Dunks and they were so noise I had to take them out... any other suggestions.... thanks for the info...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NickLomango

NickLomango

I have a set of Fender Costum Jazz 60´s and I would recommend them.

7. Dan_nj

Dan_nj

I put the 123 s in my geddy dead quite now

8. Disco Batman

Disco Batman

Agree with the DP123's. I love the Model J's. Lots of love for the Ultra Jazz's as well.

9. Firesalt

Firesalt Pretty fly for a white guy. Supporting Member

I own a GL with stick pups and Audere pre, I also own a passive jazz with Lollar pups. The Lollar have big meaty tone that the GL cannot match. They're really sensitive as well. They have far more bottom end than the stock GL pups (even with the pre) can achieve.

10. bigscore1000

bigscore1000

11. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    I have always been a fan of DiMarzios. Underrated IMO.

12. Jimg5512

Jimg5512

Thanks everyone, well I ordered the DiMarzios 123's today, after install I will report back... Thanks again, you guys are great!!!

13. Bochafish

Bochafish

had a Geddy with Audere, gotta say I really liked the stock pickups. Lots of bite.

14. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    I use the SD STK-2J's and they sound great...just another thought....good luck.

15. SteveC

SteveC

And basically what Sadowsky uses I his basses.

16. DigitalMan

DigitalMan

I like the stocks at full, but had hum at mixed volumes. I went for the Dimarzio Area J to try and stay as close to the stock sound while canceling the hum. Very pleased with the result. Almost as much bite, about the same output, and ever so slightly warmer.

17. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

I think you're on the right track. The DiMarzio Model Js are impressive - a great rock pickup, and an excellent choice for cranked up and overdriven tones.

Get 'em! And fire away, I say... :cool:

MM

18. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

You'll love 'em! I guarantee it...

Rock out! :cool:

MM

19. SteveC

SteveC

Not pickups, but I put some HipShot tuners on last night. I was having a little trouble with it staying in tune. Not sure if it's the tuners but if it was the HipShots should take care of it and it was only $78 so not a bad upgrade.

Gonna hang with the stock pups for now. I have used UltraJazz pups before in other basses with great success. Think I'll keep this one passive.

20. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

The Audere preamp is a nice addition to a jazz bass.

21. Crabby

Crabby

I love my Model J's in my VM 70's Squire. I am running them passive and they sound great but the idea of a preamp is tempting!