Geddy Lee playing a Jaco Jazz?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mike Sorr, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr ...whatever... Supporting Member

Okay, I've searched YouTube endlessly and maybe I'm missing it, but someone told me that Geddy played a Jaco Jazz bass on a recent tour. What tour, what songs? I'd be interested to see him play a Jazz with a rosewood board. Any idea why he's been favoring maple boards on his Jazz basses?

2. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Snakes and Arrows tour, on the song Malignant Narcissism.

I think he favors maple boards because maple with black blocks is beautiful.

3. Mike Sorr

Thank you, and you're right, maple is beautiful. I wonder why Steve Harris only uses maple. Probably same reason.

4. Mike Sorr

Interesting. I checked out the video and it doesn't sound fretless, but it sure looks like it is.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. esa372

esa372

7. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

Snakes and Arrows, for Malignant Narcissism.

8. cronker

cronker

OT, but:

I know Geddy has played the teardrop P, his beloved J (and many variations of), the 4003 (?) Ric, the Steinberger, the Wal (and 5'er).

Would it be unusual to expect that he has at least road tested Stingrays, Sadowsky, Lull, Lakeland, Drozd etc? Never heard him say.

9. Qlanq

Qlanq

He's playing it here somewhere. Might be in part 4. Sorry can't be specific.

10. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

I always wondered if he had ever tried a Stingray.

11. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

yes part 4 0:29

12. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Funny that's them just dicking around.

13. oboylebass

oboylebass

When I saw Ged on the Snakes and Arrows tour he did indeed use a Fender Custom Shop Jaco Jazz on the one aformentioned song. He sounded great on fretless! I think he played it on the studio version of 'mal nar' too.

14. Parzival

Parzival Supporting Member

He recorded the song Malignant Narcissism with a fretless
    Jaco. For the tour he played the song with a fretted Jaco.

15. oboylebass

oboylebass

16. bound'n'blocked

bound'n'blocked

I reference to the rosewood board question...when I saw them on the Counterparts tour back in 94, Geddy played that beautiful red flamed jazz bass he uses on the 2112 bit, and at the time it had a rosewood board on it. There are some videos out on youtube that show it.

BnB

17. brconflict

brconflict

I would imagine people have tossed him many basses over the years to try, including the Wal's. I do wonder about the Stingrays, but I imagine he was really into the Rickenbackers, then the Steinberger to free up some physical space for keyboards. Then, soon after that, he was introduced to a Wal and probably didn't see the Stingray as a better bass.

Plugged into my bass rig, comparing the Stingray HH model and a Wal MkI, I prefer the Wal to the Stingray.

As for the Jaco bass in other quotes including the OP, he answers this in the behind the scenes footage of the Snakes and Arrows documentary and then the Youtube video of his touring basses. Someone brought him a Jaco that he fooled around with while doing vocals for Snakes and Arrows. Nick recorded the fooling around and the new instrumental was made out of that. Neil also used a 4-piece kit for that recording as well. Touring is more difficult for fretless work, so yeah, he used the fretted model live, I believe.

18. woodyng

woodyng

He recently bought a 4005 Rick.........it will be interesting to see if/ how he uses it.....

19. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

If I remember right, Fender just sent him a Jaco fretless at one point - him being one of their highest-profile endorsers and all - and he was noodling around with it in the studio. They rolled tape unbeknownst to him and the noodling he was doing wound up becoming the basis of Malignant Narcissism. I don't recall him bringing it out on the last tour but he may have on earlier tours.

20. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

They are so rare he probably would never get to see one in the wild... Of course Geddy has played a StingRay. They obviously didn't resonate with him.

21. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

I think his bass tech mentioned something about a StingRay & it didn't quite work out... being a Fender artist now, I don't think it would happen...