Geddy Lee Tone help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mikata, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Mikata

Mikata

Hey guys, my first post here. While i've been a lurker for quite sometime i have been unable to come up with an answer to my dilemma.

I recently bought a Geddy Lee jazz bass and i've been trying to get a similar tone for playing Rush covers (i love his Rush in Rio tone). While i read all the threads on here and on google i still cant come up with the best move for myself at the moment. I first ended up buying a Behringer copy of the Sansamp bass driver, then their copy of the gt2, and lastly the acoustic driver. While i can still send them back for a refund and buy a used Sansamp RBI or RPM, is that the best move for a hobbyist musician looking to do some video or jam with friends. Another solution is the Sansamp Para driver, basically the RBI in pedal form. And if so, how close is the RBI to the RPM to the average hobbiyist? Also how does the behringer pedal(s) compare to the Sansamp Para driver? I'm just looking to get as close as i can for a reasonable price for me.

I know most are going to reply its all in the hands, and Geddy can sound like Geddy on anything. While i agreed, i have been perfecting my right hand technique for quite some time and i have been careful watching geddy like a hawk (from videos online). while i dont anywhere near the endurance, accuracy, or speed that he has, i can come close with an attack that fits me.

I also know about running 2-3 channels all with different settings (clean, dirty, etc.), which i have been doing in reaper.

I haven't been able to play with all 3 behringers yet to see if i could come close, just played with the bass driver and gt2 copies. And is it just me or is there no one of the net with good Rush bass covers?'

Thanks for reading. Keep jamming.

2. faceinbass

faceinbass

Does SansAmp make a "Geddy Lee" simulator pedal yet? :smug:

3. bobm2112

bobm2112 Supporting Member

You're thinking too hard bro. Use a nice distortion, dial in an aggressive bright sound, and spank the strings hard.

:bassist:

4. Mikata

Mikata

i know that, i just feel as if im missing some of that mid range twang. Go to google videos, there type in Rush in Rio and you can watch the whole show. Great video and amazing bass tone, i dont know if what im chasing is even obtainable in a smaller format.

as for my pedal dilemma, at the end of the day is the behringer pedals close enough to the sansamp for a hobbyist? i cant seem to get a content answer. and is it a good idea to run the acoustic driver with a bass driver to make up for the lack of mid control on the bass driver; or basically use the acoustic driver and us the bass driver to make up for lack of drive (or presence).

thanks again for quick responses. i know i must look like a n00b but its been bothering me.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Yeah, and use a big amp with lots of speakers. Alot of any particular tone comes from the amp and cabs. (I know Geddy doesn't use them, but just the same...)

7. Mikata

Mikata

well the pedals are basically my amp and im running straight into guitar rig into a pretty flat bass setting or straight into repear.

8. faceinbass

faceinbass

..mystery solved. :rolleyes:

9. Mikata

Mikata

i love the ignorant yet arrogant reply, it doesnt even make sense. why would i want to eq twice, when im already using the generic sansamp setup and going into guitar rig or reaper.

10. DosiYanarchy

DosiYanarchy

I always thought the BDDI got pretty close to geddy. The VTbass is quite different, but with enough tweaking you might be able to get closer than with the BDDI or the Paradriver.

11. him666

him666

Also be sure to use a light gauge of Rotosound Stainless Steel. Together with that harsh sound of a Sansamp gets me close, i guess..

12. jimmyjames77

jimmyjames77

+1 on ^ If you have a jazz that's half the battle right there. Just get some mild OD and turn it up accordingly and make it bright in the upper mids. Not just highs but upper mids. Playing finger style helps but I can get the tone with a pick.

13. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

I think I've nailed his tone..kinda:smug:. idk how it sits in a mix but I can say for sure in a weekend or two. here's what I used..

Acoustic b600h into 2 Acoustic b410's
    Gain 1:00/Vol. whatever it needs to be at/Freq. 2:00/40hz 2:00/120hz 2:00/350hz 1:00/800hz 2:00/2k 1:00/5k 3:00

Squier VM jazz bass w/Model J pickups
    Rotosound Swing Jazz strings
    Digitech RP80
    Compressor setting 2/noise gate setting 5/modulation phaser setting 1/EQ flat
    Sansamp BDDI Deluxe
    drive full on/bass 11:00/treble 12:00/presence full off/blend 9:30/lvl. 11:30

There's a Boss OC3 in the fx chain which i wasn't using but if you were to add it to the sound I would go for Poly mode/Octave 2 full off/Octave 1 9:00/lvl. 3:00

Sooo there you have it. Nice and detailed, hope it helps. I imagine I'll probably come back to it tomorrow and think it needs tweeking. The sound itself reminds me of Ged's Moving Pictures tone. YYZ and The Camera Eye to be specific. Of course low action and right hand technique are also required to get his tone.

14. taurus1

taurus1

jazz bass, fresh strings, finger style near the neck pup, dig and be aggressive, the rest is secondary

15. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1

16. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

17. Chromer

Chromer

For the pre-digital era tone, it would be worth running it through a tape emulation plug-in. Tape changed the tone quite a bit, especially the way it saturates the lows and smears the high-frequency transients. And it did it "more" the further back in time you go...

18. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Hmm I've never even thought of that, but it makes sense! I feel like certain fx were added to some of his bass tracks ie. Chorus, flange etc. Again, I'm kind of referencing to Moving Pictures and his tone on YYZ and The Camera Eye. For me having the phaser on its lowest setting possible achieved a thicker/richer sound. I play ina 3 piece "prog" band and we do our own originals. I had a previous setting on my sansamp close to this one i was using but i think this one has replaced it.:hyper:

19. judas jedermann

judas jedermann

Darkglass Vintage Microtube seems to get close:

20. pbass2

pbass2

Since you're recording into your DAW, and it seems like you have pretty good tools on the front end for his kind of sound-namely, the jazz, and some OD, etc. to experiment with---then I'd start finessing the sound in your DAW with various EQs until you get it where you want it. Whatever bass/pedals/etc. Geddy is using is still just his front end---the sound is always further massaged. Get yourself some nice pro EQ plug-ins, like the Waves SSL stuff or what-have-you--money well spent if you're working in the box.

21. bassburton

bassburton

Well, a big part of Geddy's tone is the attack. He also has low action so the strings make a lot of contact with the fingerboard, couple that with his already agressive fingerstyle, and you got a good part of the tone. A light overdrive, teetering on breakup would also help quite a bit; I think he got the distortion from a Palmer speaker emulator (I'm I remember that Bass Player article correctly). Lastly, I think he rolls of the bridge pickup on his Jazz about half way. Don't quote me on that one, though.