1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Geddy Lee Vital Signs tone on Zoom B3?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by J03YW, Dec 28, 2013.

1. J03YW

J03YW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWBPgtB9m3E

My current signal path is a Geddy Lee Jazz bass (bridge pickup favored) into the B3 running a decently harsh compressor into an SVT with ultra set to cut and a mid spike around 630 hz and a 115 ampeg cab sim, as well as a noise suppressor. I have a separate patch which swaps the suppressor for a stereo chorus. Anyways, how do I get those twangy overdriven mids that he gets? Every note's attack seems to make a kind of twangy noise and I really like it.

2. LoTone

LoTone Gold Supporting Member

A set of Rotosound Swing Bass stainless steel strings would help.

Good Luck.

3. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster

Did he record that with his Jazz or his Rick?

4. LoTone

LoTone Gold Supporting Member

My understanding is that Moving Pictures was the last album where he used the Rick for recording. It is hard to tell which bass he uses from one song to the next. For example, I read on some interview that Geddy used the Jazz bass for recording Tom Sawyer. If you listen to the recording, it is not that obvious that he is using a Jazz bass for that song. Not your typical Jazz bass sound for sure.

5. Register to disable this ad